Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Peeing on everything

edurand0622

Savannah Kitten
My 7 year old Savannah is peeing on everything. It all started 3 years ago when we moved. Shortly after we moved we had our first baby. Unfortunately with the new baby we had less time to play with him and pay attention to him. We recently bought him all new toys, a new cat tree, we play more, we got cat diffusers, and we give treats regularly. He's still peeing on everything and he's recently started peeing on my daughter's toys. Is there anything else we can do to get him to stop?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Your patience with such a long standing problem is commendable. There are other things to try but understanding the things motivating him would be helpful. I'm assuming he's neutered and you've had him checked by a vet to determine if there's a physical issue.

Things to consider/do:
Are there free-roaming cats in the neighborhood who enter your property causing him to pee to estabish his territory?

Do you have at least 2 litter boxes in different locations and can he access them in private away from busy areas in your home?

Have you cleaned all the areas where he pees with enzyme cleaners that actually work such as Anti Icky Poo or O Distributors?

Did you try confining him in a spare room with his toys, food, litter boxes for awhile?

Have you tried adding kitten attract to the litter or adding some Dr Elsey's cat attract litter to your regular litter?

Because this has been going on for so long, I think you should consider contacting an animal behaviorist who can help you evaluate and uncover his motivations and provide suggestions for eliminating the behavior. As a last resort or in combination with the behavior modification that the behaviorist will likely suggest, you can have your vet put the cat on Prozac or a similar drug. The drug can help tremendously. I have a cat who is on it for life due to territorial and displaced aggression. Your cat may need it only temporarily.

Marilyn Krieger is a behaviorist that some here have used. She gives phone consultations as well as in-person home visits http://www.thecatcoach.com/
Your vet may know of a behaviorist in your area or you can do a google search to see if someone with excellent credentials is close by.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

edurand0622

Savannah Kitten
I've tried/done everything you suggested except for confining him to a room. We're pretty positive it has to do with our other cat. Just last night my husband found some pee on my daughter's chair and I watched my Savannah go over to it sniff it a lot and then pee on a different side. It made me realize we may be dealing with two problems. I think both cats are peeing around the house for different reasons. I think my girl cat is peeing because my Savannah stresses her out because he wants to play all the time. Then I think my Savannah comes along and sprays the same area. I also think he sprays when he's feeling neglected.

I agree with you that I think the only other thing to do would be to contact a behaviorist. Thank you so much for giving the name of someone to contact, I really appreciate it.
Your patience with such a long standing problem is commendable. There are other things to try but understanding the things motivating him would be helpful. I'm assuming he's neutered and you've had him checked by a vet to determine if there's a physical issue.

Things to consider/do:
Are there free-roaming cats in the neighborhood who enter your property causing him to pee to estabish his territory?

Do you have at least 2 litter boxes in different locations and can he access them in private away from busy areas in your home?

Have you cleaned all the areas where he pees with enzyme cleaners that actually work such as Anti Icky Poo or O Distributors?

Did you try confining him in a spare room with his toys, food, litter boxes for awhile?

Have you tried adding kitten attract to the litter or adding some Dr Elsey's cat attract litter to your regular litter?

Because this has been going on for so long, I think you should consider contacting an animal behaviorist who can help you evaluate and uncover his motivations and provide suggestions for eliminating the behavior. As a last resort or in combination with the behavior modification that the behaviorist will likely suggest, you can have your vet put the cat on Prozac or a similar drug. The drug can help tremendously. I have a cat who is on it for life due to territorial and displaced aggression. Your cat may need it only temporarily.

Marilyn Krieger is a behaviorist that some here have used. She gives phone consultations as well as in-person home visits http://www.thecatcoach.com/
Your vet may know of a behaviorist in your area or you can do a google search to see if someone with excellent credentials is close by.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I think you need to seriously consider confining each cat to their own limited area such as a bathroom or small bedroom, preferably one where the are no rugs or other items made of fabric or other soft materials. Clean everything multiple times with either Anti Icky Poo or Unique Distributors - anything else will not be strong enough. You can purchase a good (e.g., not cheap) black light to make sure you get everything. If they have peed on cushions, mattresses, etc. make sure the enzyme cleaner soaks all the way through. Use Cat Attract in the litter boxes, and have several available for each cat. I'm curious why you differentiate between your one cat peeing and the other spraying, this suggests that the latter is not neutered. Spraying is a very different behavior from inappropriate peeing, and usually involves the cat urinating horizontally while still standing to spray the surfaces of walls or other objects in order to mark his territory.

edurand0622

Savannah Kitten
I think you need to seriously consider confining each cat to their own limited area such as a bathroom or small bedroom, preferably one where the are no rugs or other items made of fabric or other soft materials. Clean everything multiple times with either Anti Icky Poo or Unique Distributors - anything else will not be strong enough. You can purchase a good (e.g., not cheap) black light to make sure you get everything. If they have peed on cushions, mattresses, etc. make sure the enzyme cleaner soaks all the way through. Use Cat Attract in the litter boxes, and have several available for each cat. I'm curious why you differentiate between your one cat peeing and the other spraying, this suggests that the latter is not neutered. Spraying is a very different behavior from inappropriate peeing, and usually involves the cat urinating horizontally while still standing to spray the surfaces of walls or other objects in order to mark his territory.
Both cats are fixed. I say spraying and peeing because I don't see them do it every time, sometimes it seems like pee and other times you can tell they sprayed (because it was vertical). We use Nature's Miracle to clean up. The good news is they rarely hit the same place twice. Which makes me think what we're using is working. I've read about confining cats and I've read it's not good to do. It makes the cat feel like they're being punished and they act out more.

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
Natures Miracle works well enough for human noses, but not feline - you defs want Anti Icky Poo.

Have you had your boy vet checked to make sure the neuter was successful?

Your further posts makes me think it's your girl that's been peeing all this time, and your boy following suit - separating them even for a short time a day might help if she is stressed out by him. Separate them when he is nutso, and play him out. Make him pant! Give her a room with a window seat, she'll love it. Not all cats suffer or act out more when separated, you may be surprised. Also, if no one is home during the day that may be the best time for separation.

Do you have ample vertical space available?

edurand0622

Savannah Kitten
Natures Miracle works well enough for human noses, but not feline - you defs want Anti Icky Poo.

Have you had your boy vet checked to make sure the neuter was successful?

Your further posts makes me think it's your girl that's been peeing all this time, and your boy following suit - separating them even for a short time a day might help if she is stressed out by him. Separate them when he is nutso, and play him out. Make him pant! Give her a room with a window seat, she'll love it. Not all cats suffer or act out more when separated, you may be surprised. Also, if no one is home during the day that may be the best time for separation.

Do you have ample vertical space available?
Thanks for all of the advice, I'll definitely get the Anti Icky Poo and try separating them during the day while we're not home. He hasn't been checked by the vet but I don't think that is a problem. We lived in an apartment before and he never sprayed there, none of them did. We had three cats at that time and everyone was great until we moved. A lot happened after we moved. Our eldest cat got sick and had to be on medication until he died about 8 months later. And then we had our first baby 11 months after moving in. At some point our female cat became super sensitive and just hisses at our boy cat (the savannah) even when he's just walking by.

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
Thanks for all of the advice, I'll definitely get the Anti Icky Poo and try separating them during the day while we're not home. He hasn't been checked by the vet but I don't think that is a problem. We lived in an apartment before and he never sprayed there, none of them did. We had three cats at that time and everyone was great until we moved. A lot happened after we moved. Our eldest cat got sick and had to be on medication until he died about 8 months later. And then we had our first baby 11 months after moving in. At some point our female cat became super sensitive and just hisses at our boy cat (the savannah) even when he's just walking by.

It sounds like the change in dynamic with the loss of your third cat (sorry for your loss) left the brunt of your Savannahs antics on your female. I hope the separation helps, and like Witchy said above - kudos for sticking with your fur kids, many would just give them up.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Have you tried Feliway diffusers or collars? I've seen intermittent success with Feliway but if you haven't tried it, it might be worth giving it a shot...

Have you tried Feliway diffusers or collars? I've seen intermittent success with Feliway but if you haven't tried it, it might be worth giving it a shot...
Yes we did. We bought 3 of them and put them in the rooms they spray most.