Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

peeing on my furniture!

Chestercat7

Savannah Super Cat
Hello everyone! I am having a serious issue. Chester, my 1 year old f3 neutered savannah, has peed in at least 3 places that I know of in the last month. twice on my bed and once on my husbands recliner. He isn't spraying, he is literally peeing. I have had him for 8 months and have not had an issue until now. he still uses his litter box as well, so I am just really confused. he is going to the vet tomorrow to see if he may have a bladder infection. Also, there has been a slight change in his behavior since the weather has warmed up. he is contantly meowing at the doors and windows ( I occasionally take him out on the leash) and I do know that another male cat has sprayed on our front porch. Not sure if that is what is causing it or not.......anyhoo, has anyone had an issue with this? Cat pee is the WORST, and I fear my husband may not want to keep him if he keeps it up.

cbain

Site Supporter
Hello everyone! I am having a serious issue. Chester, my 1 year old f3 neutered savannah, has peed in at least 3 places that I know of in the last month. twice on my bed and once on my husbands recliner. He isn't spraying, he is literally peeing. I have had him for 8 months and have not had an issue until now. he still uses his litter box as well, so I am just really confused. he is going to the vet tomorrow to see if he may have a bladder infection. Also, there has been a slight change in his behavior since the weather has warmed up. he is contantly meowing at the doors and windows ( I occasionally take him out on the leash) and I do know that another male cat has sprayed on our front porch. Not sure if that is what is causing it or not.......anyhoo, has anyone had an issue with this? Cat pee is the WORST, and I fear my husband may not want to keep him if he keeps it up.
I think Chester is trying to deal with a invader , he feels threaten and is trying to mark his area, wash and bleach the porch and I think he will settle down , their is a lot of commitment to having a Savannah cat IMO

Chestercat7

Savannah Super Cat
I think Chester is trying to deal with a invader , he feels threaten and is trying to mark his area, wash and bleach the porch and I think he will settle down , their is a lot of commitment to having a Savannah cat IMO
thanks. I thought this may be a contributing factor. I would do anything to keep him, we both love him and he is like our child, so of course this upsets me and my husband both. I can somewhat tolerate messes more than my husband, although I don't care for my house smelling of urine!

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I'd definitely attribute this new behavior to the male cat spraying outside. You need to clean both areas (the places inside Chester has peed) and the area the outdoor kitty is spraying. Using bleach tends to attract cats back to pee or spray again...a reason to clean litter boxes with diluted bleach in water, but not anywhere you don't want cats peeing. I recommend a good enzyme cleaner such as Anti-Icky Poo or Unique Distributors cat urine removal cleaners. I have very good results with Fabuloso cleaner diluted about 1 part Fabuloso to 4 parts water in a spray bottle. I use it to spray down the outside of my house where a stray is spraying, too, as well as inside. Try sprinkling coarse ground black pepper in all those areas after cleaning. Be sure to clean the areas Chester has peed thoroughly, and you might consider putting something on the chair and bed to deter him, such as a plastic tarp.

Is the cat outdoors a stray or belongs to a neighbor?

There are several threads on this forum dealing with this subject, so be sure to search for them...and good luck!

Chestercat7

Savannah Super Cat
I'd definitely attribute this new behavior to the male cat spraying outside. You need to clean both areas (the places inside Chester has peed) and the area the outdoor kitty is spraying. Using bleach tends to attract cats back to pee or spray again...a reason to clean litter boxes with diluted bleach in water, but not anywhere you don't want cats peeing. I recommend a good enzyme cleaner such as Anti-Icky Poo or Unique Distributors cat urine removal cleaners. I have very good results with Fabuloso cleaner diluted about 1 part Fabuloso to 4 parts water in a spray bottle. I use it to spray down the outside of my house where a stray is spraying, too, as well as inside. Try sprinkling coarse ground black pepper in all those areas after cleaning. Be sure to clean the areas Chester has peed thoroughly, and you might consider putting something on the chair and bed to deter him, such as a plastic tarp.

Is the cat outdoors a stray or belongs to a neighbor?

There are several threads on this forum dealing with this subject, so be sure to search for them...and good luck!
Thank you Pam! I live out in the country, so we have several cats that come around. I have an outdoor female cat, but sure it is another male doing the dirty work. can I buy these items on amazon? I think we will just get rid of the chair altogether, but my mattress is another story. :( we are just not letting him in the bedroom for now. I couldnt get the smell out of that completely. I have been using Nature's Miracle urine destroyer, and it didnt seem to work as much on the mattress. He is going to the vet tomorrow to rule out medical condition.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Nature's Miracle is not rumored to be the best urine removal. Give the other ones a try. I believe the two enzyme cleaners I mentioned generally must be ordered, but Fabuloso can be found at Family Dollar, Dollar General, Target, Wallyworld, etc. It is very inexpensive. I happen to like the Sunset Spice scented formula the best.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...aps&hvadid=2836467532&ref=pd_sl_3bzvjrif37_ee

http://uniquedistributors.com/petodor.html

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fabuloso-Sunset-Spice-Multi-Purpose-Pourable-Liquid-Cleaner-56-oz/20608032

Chestercat7

Savannah Super Cat
Nature's Miracle is not rumored to be the best urine removal. Give the other ones a try. I believe the two enzyme cleaners I mentioned generally must be ordered, but Fabuloso can be found at Family Dollar, Dollar General, Target, Wallyworld, etc. It is very inexpensive. I happen to like the Sunset Spice scented formula the best.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=anti-icky poo&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=2836467532&ref=pd_sl_3bzvjrif37_ee

http://uniquedistributors.com/petodor.html

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fabuloso-Sunset-Spice-Multi-Purpose-Pourable-Liquid-Cleaner-56-oz/20608032
okay, I will :) thank you!! I am willing to do anything.....this is what I have feared would happen!! not to mention savannah urine seems to smell 10 times worse, and they pee so much more!

D

Dantes

Thank you Pam! I live out in the country, so we have several cats that come around. I have an outdoor female cat, but sure it is another male doing the dirty work. can I buy these items on amazon? I think we will just get rid of the chair altogether, but my mattress is another story. :( we are just not letting him in the bedroom for now. I couldnt get the smell out of that completely. I have been using Nature's Miracle urine destroyer, and it didnt seem to work as much on the mattress. He is going to the vet tomorrow to rule out medical condition.
I was able to clean my mattress with the following procedure:

Anti-Icky Poo

Let it soak in, followed by baking soda...let it sit for a bit, then vaccuum it up. I did this a few times, just to make sure.

Next I sprayed

Zero Odor

When I was fairly certain the odor was gone, I used this on top:

Lavender Hydrosol

This stuff is really good at getting rid of smells and cleaning stuff, and works wonders on pests like fleas and bedbugs.

Then I bought a waterproof bedspread, without which I would have not lasted nearly 3 years with a problem peer.

@Kristin was also amazingly helpful in trying to figure out the source of the problem, but my guess is you've already got that figured out. Still, she might be helpful in convincing your boy he doesn't need to protect you.

HTH