Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peeing outside the box ... What went wrong ?

Hina

Site Supporter
We've never had any problems with inappropriate elimination. Sasha had been religiously using the litter box, in fact one day he really wanted to go when we were out on a walk. He 'told' me that he needs to go and it's urgent, he held it in until we got home and he went straight to the litter box. Perfect story, until last night.
Sasha was playing with some cardboard boxes and ended up peeing there !!! Maybe it was the rains that spooked him or maybe he was just too caught up in his game and didn't realize it. Do I need to worry? I'm not at home and it's the husband who's taking care of Sasha. He does play with him and walk him. He was needy and clingy for te first few days of my holidays, but now he seemed to have settled in and doesn't seem to miss me so much.
Should I be worried? Or just ignore it as a one time accident.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Did he actually pee on the cardboard? If so, he may have decided that cardboard is an acceptable substitute for litter. I have had several cats pee in cardboard boxes over the years. I would not worry too much and just have hubby keep an eye on him.

Hina

Site Supporter
Yes, he was playing inside one of the boxes and decided he had to go!! I asked Samad to get rid of the boxes ASAP. Funnily enough, Sasha was super loving after that. Purring and kissing and was all over him. I think it was because he knew he was a bad boy and wanted to make up.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I'm sure you're right - he realized that the cardboard box was not a litter box and wanted daddy to forgive him. I don't think you will need to worry about him - he sounds like a very good boy who just had an oops moment... :in love:

Hina

Site Supporter
Thanks Patti and Cary. I needed the reassurance that this was just an accident. I can't help over obsess and get worked up just because I'm away.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
Jarvis had an oops 1x about a year ago, he got pounced on from behind, but we cleaned it up quickly and it never happened again. We think he was just overexcited (playing with a new toy), and was "holding" it until pounced on. When he forgot to keep holding it.

Hina

Site Supporter
This is how Sasha and I 'talk' these days- video calls. Call me crazy, but I think he recognizes me and even gives me those slow blink kitty kisses !!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 12

dice

Site Supporter
hmm, thinking, these things happen. Worst thing about putting on fresh sheets is wondering how long before someone needs to mark them. Hairball, upchuck, maybe a squirt of urine, you got kids?, yeah, things are going to get wet that ain't supposed to. Just saying.