Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Pet Emergency Preparation...are you prepared?

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I have a pile of things in the garage, foldup crates, disposable litterboxes(those cardboard ones that fold flat), as well as our earthquake supplies such as water, first aid kit, emergency food packs... but in the house I try to have crates in rooms with cats (like Nadiya and babies) and one big crate on top of our wardrobe in our bedroom with pillow cases in it to gather cats into if emergency strikes...

This OK disaster really makes you think about emergency preparedness...

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
In my area we tend to have tornado warnings. Since our kitten nursery is on the top floor of our house, I have learned to let the mommas have their babies in a large sturdy canvas pet carrier that can be quickly zipped shut and carried to safety to the basement shelter area. I have done that twice now....and we in Michigan were just under a tornado watch today, too, so had everything ready just in case we needed to seek shelter.....I am going to add pillow cases to our supply of emergency supplies. I always try to have a wand toy handy as sometimes the cats sense our urgency and play "keep away"....a wand toy plus loudly popping a few cans of Fancy Feast has moved cats quickly from our main living area to shelter very quickly :)

scorpius

Chirps & Massive Headbutts
Good info... Somewhat related, in terms of medication, have a jar of vaseline and a digital thermometer handy. SV owners should be prepared to take your SV's temp (you know where..). In Shango's case during his neutering infection, had I not done this, I don't know that I would have gone to see a vet as soon as I did (and I think this helped)....once I measured his temp that night and realized it was a fever, it was vet time (I drove 30 miles to a good 24/7 emergency vet that night). Sometimes, owners like myself, may not know when to pull the vet trigger. So added to emergency medical supplies, vaseline and a digital thermometer for taking their temps. dj

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Good plans, I tend to have my girls birth in crates that can be closed up too... hadn't really thought how useful that would be but you are so right!

Wand toy is a good addition, thanks for that thought!

Hope you don't experience tornadoes... scary stuff :-(

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
All tornado danger has passed this early evening, thanks! I don't worry a whole lot as my area has never been hit hard...but when the sky is black in the middle of the day, clouds are swirling fast, trees whipping back and forth and the tornado alert in town is going off...we head for shelter! I guess you never know...hence the reason for this post.