Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Pet Only vs. Show Cat

LEG7930

Savannah Kitten
Hi all,

I purchased a Savannah kitten, and I purchased her as a pet only. I'm wondering why/how breeders choose to sell their kittens as Pet Only vs. Show Cat? Is it a matter of price, or their generation, something else?

Thanks for any information you have!

If you've a kitten you really think excels in type, you may place it as a show only kitten. However, on the flip side, I've placed kittens I think would have done stellar in the show ring into fantastic pet homes and not regretted it one bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Generally, cats are sold as "pets" only if the breeder does not feel they are breeder quality to produce quality kittens, or they are non-standard in color or type or are not of the right "code" accepted for show classes. Price has nothing to do with it.

Other reasons why kittens are sold as pets vs show prospects.....Savannahs must be an SBT...from F4SBT on down...F5, F6, etc to be shown at TICA shows (CFA does not accept Savannahs in classes). So if a cat is an F5A, F5B, F5C...they cannot be shown in regular championship classes with other cat breeds, but can be shown in the Household (HHP) pet division if they are at least an F4. This would include Savannahs that are not SBT's (an A, B, or C Savannah) or are a non-standard color (snow, blue, cinnamon, marbled, etc) or have some physical disqualification for regular classes: kinked tail, crossed eyes, polydactyl feet (extra toes) etc.

Another reason for not selling a kitten as a show prospect (assuming they are SBT) is that the breeder may feel they do not fit the breed standard we want to see for show cats or feel the cat/kitten in question does not have the personality for showing...not all do. Conversely, it is entirely possible you may own an SBT Savannah that DOES have a great personality that might enjoy showing, and has wonderful Savannah breed type and the breeder themselves do not show cats, so have no idea...a kitten or cat shown at shows in the Championship classes is a representative of the breeder's program so is a reflection of the type of cats they are producing.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
We have 3 pet quality SV boys. a breeder could probably answer you better, but I'll explain why (i think) my boys we're sold as pet quality.

My F5 SBT is pet only because the breeder did not think he came close enough to breed standard to show or be used for breeding. He is melanistic, which is a permissible color, but his tail is so long it would drag on the ground if he didn't hold it up :) of course, he is perfect to me :)

Our F4 SBT boy is a snow, which is not a permissible color, so I assume that is why he is considered pet quality.

Our F3 boy is F3C, so he can't be shown as a Savannah because he is not SBT.

LEG7930

Savannah Kitten
Generally, cats are sold as "pets" only if the breeder does not feel they are breeder quality to produce quality kittens, or they are non-standard in color or type or are not of the right "code" accepted for show classes. Price has nothing to do with it.

Other reasons why kittens are sold as pets vs show prospects.....Savannahs must be an SBT...from F4SBT on down...F5, F6, etc to be shown at TICA shows (CFA does not accept Savannahs in classes). So if a cat is an F5A, F5B, F5C...they cannot be shown in regular championship classes with other cat breeds, but can be shown in the Household (HHP) pet division if they are at least an F4. This would include Savannahs that are not SBT's (an A, B, or C Savannah) or are a non-standard color (snow, blue, cinnamon, marbled, etc) or have some physical disqualification for regular classes: kinked tail, crossed eyes, polydactyl feet (extra toes) etc.

Another reason for not selling a kitten as a show prospect (assuming they are SBT) is that the breeder may feel they do not fit the breed standard we want to see for show cats or feel the cat/kitten in question does not have the personality for showing...not all do. Conversely, it is entirely possible you may own an SBT Savannah that DOES have a great personality that might enjoy showing, and has wonderful Savannah breed type and the breeder themselves do not show cats, so have no idea...a kitten or cat shown at shows in the Championship classes is a representative of the breeder's program so is a reflection of the type of cats they are producing.
Thanks everyone for the information.
Pam- My savannah is an A2N, so she would be able to enter as a HHP? Would this still be allowed if her registration says "Not for Showing"?

Attachments

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Look at it another way - about 90% of kittens produced are probably pet quality with maybe 10% of good breeder quality, and perhaps 10% of those good breeder potentials are actually good enough to be competitive in the show ring.

Your F5 could be shown in Household pet (HHP) but first you would have to obtain permission from the breeder to do so and present it to TICA, then give up your Savannah papers and re-register Mindy as a HHP.

LEG7930

Savannah Kitten
Hello again. Just today I went to my first cat show. It was a fun experience as a spectator and I plan on entering my bengal next year. I did have a question regarding my savannah though. As I've previously stated her paper work says "NOT FOR SHOWING", which I understand because she does not qualify. Rather than contacting the breeder and requesting the ability to show her as a HHP, would I be able to enter her as EXHIBIT ONLY, so she can come along with her bengal brother?
Thanks for any info...

admin

Paige
Staff member
Hello again. Just today I went to my first cat show. It was a fun experience as a spectator and I plan on entering my bengal next year. I did have a question regarding my savannah though. As I've previously stated her paper work says "NOT FOR SHOWING", which I understand because she does not qualify. Rather than contacting the breeder and requesting the ability to show her as a HHP, would I be able to enter her as EXHIBIT ONLY, so she can come along with her bengal brother?
Thanks for any info...
Yes you can register her as exhibit only and then she would just be company for your Bengal... I did that this past year with two of my kittens as they were too young to show... I showed Orion and brought Siri and carbon as exhibit only.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I am assuming you are referring to Mindy whom you are listing as A2N in you signature. An F2 cannot be shown as a Savannah or a household pet, but your SBT Bengal could definitely be shown. Were you at the Tucson show? If so, sorry I missed you! We may have a one-day show in Phoenix next spring, it all depends on if we can find an appropriate show hall.