Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pet quality vs breeder quality?

bicmeister

Savannah Kitten
I'm new to this forum so please bear with me if I am asking a question that's been posted and answered elsewhere. I've been looking at some breeders' websites, and the prices often vary depending on individual kittens. Many sites talk about how this or that kitten is pet quality. I feel silly to ask, but what makes a kitten "pet quality" over "breeder quality"? Is it simply a difference of having more desirable physical traits? Or is it also a personality trait?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Mostly when you are seeing a kitten offered only as pet and without the option of breeder (which usually means a higher price tag), it is because the kitten has some fault that precludes using it in a breeding program. What that might be depends on the breeder. Usually it is something like a tail kink or a locket (patch of white where it is not supposed to be), or nonstandard color/pattern.

When looking for a pet, having a small fault truly means little...as long as the fault is not a health-related one then it shouldn't mean too much to a pet buyer.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
I have a boy with a tail so long it drags on the ground if he doesn't hold it up. He is F5, and he was sold as pet only.
He is the nicest boy I have ever met :)

bicmeister

Savannah Kitten
thank you for the clarification! i've seen breeders list one kitten pet quality only and another kitten pet quality or breeder quality, which confused me. i doubt i could actually spot the difference in a picture...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Of course for some breeders it might be as minor a difference as spot pattern! I've seen some when to me the one labeled "pet quality" is structurally a nicer Savannah but the one labeled "breeder quality" has bigger spots. So depending on the breeder you might in fact get a better SV as the one labeled "pet quality", LOL!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I think these days most breeders are being pretty conscientious about what they sell as breeder quality now that we are a Championship breed with TICA, and want to breed those cats that most closely resemble the breed standard. I personally believe that 'show quality' should fetch a higher price than 'breeder quality' because then you know you have the best of the best, but I've not found too many Savannahs sold as show quality.

Bottom line, a 'pet quality' is not necessarily going to have any glaring faults, just perhaps not the right eye shape, ear set, or perhaps the best contrast, but it certainly doesn't detract from the Savannah personality.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I actually do not advertise my kittens as pets or breeders, since I prefer not to sell my kittens as breeders...that does not mean they have any faults at all...on the contrary...I agree with Patti as far as show quality...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Your position is completely understandable Paige. I take more exception to those who advertise a kitten as breeder only - mostly because for the majority of the kittens I see advertised as such I don't consider breeder quality - or at least not something I would need or use in my own program...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Agreed, it takes some growing of a kitten before I am ready to make a call on whether they are breeder quality or not. I would not advertise one as breeder ONLY, I actually somewhat prefer a pet home for my kittens as they grow up so spoiled here!