Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Philadelphia savannah cat owner

Hi there my roommate is moderately allergic to cats and I heard that some people are less allergic to savannah cats. I was hoping that we could spend some time with a savannah to see what his reaction would be like because we are thinking of getting one. Does anyone have an f2? I heard they are the least likely to cause a response. We were hoping that someone near Philadelphia could host us. I know that this is a bit odd but we wanted to be sure about the allergies before we purchased a cat.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
There isn't any data that proves that savannahs cause less of an allergic reaction than other cats in people who are allergic to cats. Yet, although I am allergic to cats (hives, trouble breathing), I have fewer problems with my SVs (2 F2s and an F6) than I did with some of my domestic short hairs. And when I had domestic short hairs, one of them caused no allergic symptoms in me and the other basically turned me into a giant hive.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Not sure where you got the idea that F2's are least likely to cause an allergic response...I never heard that one...

Savannah cats are not hypoallergenic. And spending an hour or two with one will not tell you whether you can tolerate a savannah cat or not...

Actually we have a thread on this...just do a search on allergies ;)

Thanks for the responses guys. I know that no cat is 'hypo-allergenic' but I have heard a lot of personal testimonies that the reactions are less severe. My friend usually reacts to cats within 10-20 minutes, so spending about an hour with a savannah will give us some idea (obviously not perfect scientific data) about how he would react.

Thanks for the replies... Does anyone live near Philadelphia?

admin

Paige
Staff member
Thanks for the responses guys. I know that no cat is 'hypo-allergenic' but I have heard a lot of personal testimonies that the reactions are less severe. My friend usually reacts to cats within 10-20 minutes, so spending about an hour with a savannah will give us some idea (obviously not perfect scientific data) about how he would react.

Thanks for the replies... Does anyone live near Philadelphia?

It does not work that way...we have been through this with many people before...spending an hour just doesn't cut it...your friend may not have a reaction that day, but once living with you, and the cat living there day in and day out can cause a reaction. SO unless your friend is willing to get shots and do what it takes in case he/she becomes allergic, I don't know many breeders who would sell you a savannah...I am in NJ, but do not allow visits just for the heck of it...sorry :(

Pebbles1969

Savannah Super Cat
Hi there my roommate is moderately allergic to cats and I heard that some people are less allergic to savannah cats. I was hoping that we could spend some time with a savannah to see what his reaction would be like because we are thinking of getting one. Does anyone have an f2? I heard they are the least likely to cause a response. We were hoping that someone near Philadelphia could host us. I know that this is a bit odd but we wanted to be sure about the allergies before we purchased a cat.
I have an F2 and three other cats as well as two dogs. I've always had a cat throughout my life. My family has increased as well as my pets. I have never had allergies....that is until 2 years ago, approximately 6 months after getting my SV. I've been getting allergy shots ever since I learned I am allergic to Cats as well as a few other things. Maybe this was coincidental.....maybe not, I don't know, but I did speak to my allergist to find out that there is no data to support or disprove that normal house cats vs SV's or vise versa cause more of an allergic reaction or not. I would not change a thing, my Savannah is unlike any traditional short hair housecat I've had....and I love her to death!

If you have any doubt whatsoever, I would advise NOT to get an SV or any cat for that matter. Think long and hard.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I have an F2 and three other cats as well as two dogs. I've always had a cat throughout my life. My family has increased as well as my pets. I have never had allergies....that is until 2 years ago, approximately 6 months after getting my SV. I've been getting allergy shots ever since I learned I am allergic to Cats as well as a few other things. Maybe this was coincidental.....maybe not, I don't know, but I did speak to my allergist to find out that there is no data to support or disprove that normal house cats vs SV's or vise versa cause more of an allergic reaction or not. I would not change a thing, my Savannah is unlike any traditional short hair housecat I've had....and I love her to death!

If you have any doubt whatsoever, I would advise NOT to get an SV or any cat for that matter. Think long and hard.

You may grow out of the allergies...I had them and then I didn't and then I did and then I didn't ;) Your body changes...but I have suffered through shots as well, so feel your pain.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
We are in NJ.
Depending on what part of Philadelphia you are in, you are between 1 hour and 1.5 hours from us.
We have three SVs, an F3 boy, an F4 boy, and an F5 boy.
I am allergic. We did not know that when we brought them home. I am less alergic to F5 D than I am to our other two boys. I am most alergic to our F4 boy, Mickey, the little guy in my avitar.
Our F4 and F5 boys get baths every other week, and we have hard wood floors, and we have a dyson, but I still wake up most mornings with angry red eyes and a bad stuffy nose. Are they worth it? Yes. But each cat is different. We got our F4 boy and our F3 boy thinking I would not be very allergic because I am not very allergic to D, our F5 boy. Bad assumption on our parts. Had I known I would react to both of them, I can't say for sure that we would have gotten them. And I spent large amounts of time around cats previously, including housesitting for friends with cats.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
FYI. An allergic response may not be immediate. You could play all day with a creature and not have a problem. Come back two weeks later, and you might have a slight reaction or a whopper. Come back again in two weeks and the reaction could get nasty. Or you might not have a problem at all. Allergies are quite variable in response. You may react to one cat, and not at all to others, as Deborah pointed out. It could be the fur, it could be the dander, or it could be the saliva. It can be a challenge to nail down the precise origin when a problem occurs.