Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Picking a kitten?

Riddick

Savannah Super Cat
Hi,

I have pick of the litter on 4 male F3 kittens.. I will pick which one I want at 4 weeks of age when I go visit them. This seems very difficult to do being that they will change so much. Personality and health of the kitten will be the biggest deciding factor. There is one male they call a silver tipped kitten, supposedly he will turn into a very amber/golden color. You definitely cant tell that right now thought. Has anyone on here have any feed back on that? Is there anything specific I should be looking for in picking out a kitten that wont change as they age?

KMcgown

Site Supporter
Do you have to pick at 4 weeks? Perhaps you could narrow it down and then pick when they are a bit older. I think it is hard to tell at 4 weeks how the kitten will develop (tall, big ears, etc).

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I picked Rafiki at 4 weeks of age. She had a lot of golden on her at that time but turned into a cool BST as she got older.

Riddick

Savannah Super Cat
I will ask if I can just narrow it down at 4 weeks. I was hoping by then you could tell these characters better. When do you think the best age to pick one would be?

Rafiki

Site Supporter
At 6 weeks, it was much more obvious that Rafiki would be a cool BST even though she still had a lot of golden to her. Her nose was showing more pink in the middle. Her ears were large but not as large as they would eventually become and they were still somewhat on the side of the head rather than perched on top. It was also obvious that her brother would be much larger and lankier than her even though she had very long legs. At 8 weeks, she was definitely looking more like the cat she would be. The only true question was the eye color.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
It is always difficult to tell how a kitten will turn out physically when looking at a youngster that is only a few weeks old. On the other hand, it is unfair to the breeder to expect them to hold on to an entire litter for weeks on end for you to choose your kitten before they can advertise the rest as available. I guess you need to decide what is most important to you - sharp contrast, big ears, long legs, personality, etc., and go by what seems to best match what you want, realizing that all but the personality can change over time. Have there been any previous litters from this pairing so that you can see how the older siblings turned out as adults?

I'm not sure what they are talking about with the silver tipped male - silver tipping is a shaded or chinchilla pattern, and definitely nonstandard for a Savannah. Not to say there is anything wrong with having a nonstandard color, as long as that is how they are representing it. Alternatively, if they mean that the kitten has a fever coat, that should clear in a few weeks, however it's pretty impossible in my experience to know what pattern or colors will emerge from under a fever coat. The same goes for a kitten with the fuzzies, just no telling how they will clear as an adult.

Riddick

Savannah Super Cat
I will probably go ahead and pick one out at 4 weeks old so I don't hold the breeder up. I know they already have deposits behind me. I have seen the cats from the previous litter but not them as kittens so I don't know how much that will help. It will just have to be a hard decision for me! Any more advice on picking is greatly appreciated.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I will probably go ahead and pick one out at 4 weeks old so I don't hold the breeder up. I know they already have deposits behind me. I have seen the cats from the previous litter but not them as kittens so I don't know how much that will help. It will just have to be a hard decision for me! Any more advice on picking is greatly appreciated.
Don't over think it and approach it with an open heart. The right kitten will likely choose you. When I visited Taji's litter of 4, he and one of his sisters immediately came over and played with me and sat on my lap. Soon after the sister went off to play with her siblings and Taji went belly up in my lap, put his little paw across his nose and looked at me with an expression that unmistakably said "I choose you." So I was chosen rather than the one doing the choosing.

You will probably get a "feeling" about one of the kittens and you'll know that's the one, even though there may be others that are more physically pleasing to you.

aharter

Savannah Super Cat
I picked out my kitten when it was only like a week old. I was wondering how to tell what they would look like when they got older too , and all I had to go off of were pictures of kittens. I decided no matter what I would love it and when I saw it's little face in the picture I just felt overwhelmed with cuteness and knew it was the one I wanted. There was even one that seemed to have better markings and more spots , but I didn't care. I have no idea how she will look when older , but now it doesn't matter.