Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Picking up new kitten in two weeks, a few questions!

LornaJayne

Savannah Super Cat
Hello, I wonder if I can ask a couple of kitten related questions please? We are picking up our F4 savannah kitten in just under 2 weeks (very excited to bring little one home!) and I am thinking ahead of a few things. So when bringing him home it will be a two hour car ride, I am going to get him a nice warm soft blanket for the carrier, would it be best to be freshly cleaned or if I clean it now and give it to our cat to use so it smells of her would that be better? I want to put a little cuddly toy in for him too, again should this be brand new with no smell or one our girl cat already has? I am probably over thinking this but I want him to feel safe and loved straight away!

And I can't remember, and what age should we lead train him? I feel like there's so much to think about before his grand arrival! Thanks!

Vito

Site Supporter
Congratulations, you must be very excited, my advice for what it's worth , would be to ask the breeder to give you a blanket with his mum's scent on it, this can be comforting on the journey and during the following few days once you get him home. .looking forward to seeing some pics of the little man once he's settled in.
I always harness trained a new kitten once he/she has settled in, try putting on a little kitten harness on him for short periods of time indoors (few mins or so, few times a day) once he's happy with that, then you can start attaching the leash and it should be plain sailing from there on, just takes time and patience and supervision of course.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
You've been given good advice. I would just make sure to add that you know to put your kitten in quarantine for at least two weeks, that means no visiting with your current cat at all until the little one gets settled in. By the time quarantine is up they will both know of the other one's presence, but still you should make the introductions slow and at their own pace. Cont wait to see pics of your new baby!

LornaJayne

Savannah Super Cat
Thank you so much for your brilliant advice! In fact I just looked up the advertisement for him again and I didn't realise as part of the 'kitten pack' he comes home with a blanket so that should smell of his Mum. Oh I will upload some photos after we pick him up. Counting down the days!

Vito

Site Supporter
Thank you so much for your brilliant advice! In fact I just looked up the advertisement for him again and I didn't realise as part of the 'kitten pack' he comes home with a blanket so that should smell of his Mum. Oh I will upload some photos after we pick him up. Counting down the days!
Can't wait !!! Best time ever getting a baby Sav :)