Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Picking up Thor tonight but he still has allergies

Michele&Will

Savannah Super Cat
Hey guys. We are picking up Thor tonight, and I spoke with the breeder who stated he still has allergies, but will give him to us with instructions for that. She previously stated she took him to the vet, who said it was allergies as many cats are having that issue right now in TX (pollen) When we saw him a week ago, he seemed fine, he was playful and happy, but kinda tired after, and sneezed a couple times. Any advice on what I should do. Does it sound like its allergies, or could it be something else? I would think it would be gone by now if she was medicating him, but maybe it takes awhile.. any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Call and talk to the her vet. You should definitely want confirmation that Thor does not have an upper respiratory infection or something worse. There is no harm in the breeder keeping Thor a little longer until there are signs of improvement. I'm assuming you have a contract stipulating health guarantee and how serious issues will be handled?

Michele&Will

Savannah Super Cat
She said she was trying not to medicate him right away so he could try to fight it, but she is more now, and he is eating and playing still. The vet said 85% of cats in right now are having the same problem. She is close to us so we can always contact her or visit easily if needed. There is a contract but I think it is a 72 hour guarantee kind of deal. Ill have to read it over more closely. I will try to contact the vet myself to confirm.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Would a respiratory infection still let him play and eat well?
Yes, especially if she's treating it. I am super cautious bordering on paranoid about this stuff having taken possession of a kitten with giardia/coccidia 4 years ago and then sending another back to his breeder because he arrived with severe patella luxation in both hind legs. And we have members here who have been in heartbreaking situations taking possession of sick cats. So, better to be safe than sorry.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I would be very cautious about taking the kitten while it is sneezing. Ask the vet if a Respiratory PCR panel has been done... has any testing been done?

I think the risk you are taking is (1) this is an infection you are taking on and it could last the rest of the cat's life... virus such as Herpes are not cleared by antibiotics for example, but even if it IS bacterial and she is medicating it might not be the right antibiotic if the kitten is not getting better.

(2) You are taking on a kitten that has allergies...and that will last the rest of its life. This could turn into feline asthma. This could be a lifelong vet bill...

I would advice doing as suggested above, waiting on taking the kitten until whatever is wrong is resolved, if it IS resolveable.

yes, read your contract. Mostly it is a 72 hour guarantee and if you keep the kitten past that time you are taking on its care. Anything further is you proving it is a genetic defect...and possibly gaining a replacement if the cat dies by a year old. You know there IS an issue, if you continue and pick up the kitten you are tacitly agreeing to taking on this issue...and once you have kitten home you will be so bonded you won't wish to return even if a replacement is offered!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Would a respiratory infection still let him play and eat well?
Kittens will usually keep playing and eating until they feel really really bad.

This is a high energy breed, when I have had deathly ill Savannahs they have seemed "normal" right up until a day or two before they collapse and at that point are almost dead. My Zari was fine until 3 days before she collapsed when she just seemed a little lethargic and didn't want to eat. Then she collapsed and had a HCT of 7.1%. She practically had no blood left. Yet three days before, she was leaping after a wand toy even though she had to be very ill even at that time... so I would not feel that eating and playing means the kitten is not ill, nor that what is wrong cannot be a chronic issue that you would be more sensible to think twice about taking on.

I don't know the breeder, but I know that I am reluctant to let kittens leave when they are not perfectly healthy. Usually it is the buyer that is insisting they will take the kitten... and maybe that is what is happening here...you don't want to wait on getting your kitten? I just think it is better to be sensible than to further stress your kitten's immune system with a change in home and people when they are not 100%...

Angie Panczak

Savannah Super Cat
I agree with B, I would not get kitten until 100%, I would think it's more likely URI, than an allergy. If an URI it can go away and come back under stress and get a lot worse under stress, such as rehoming. If you do get kitten, I would also ask for written info from the vet saying kitten is healthy and what diagnosis/tests were done.