Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Playing with me claws out & Pouncing.

Xcellmusic

Savannah Super Cat
Hello everybody,

I'm bounding extraordinary well with my 14 weeks F2B AYRAD (On my avatar) loves this little monster very much, we spend a lot of time together and couldn't have been happier having him home.

I'm seeking for an advice on education, let me explain :

When he's on relax mode (usually on my bed) He LOVES when I pet him, he's very gentle, nice, he purrs and close his eyes looking very relaxed.

But when we're on playing mode, usually after a crazy energetic playing session (That's why we love SVs right? haha) when I pet him he attacks my hands, pouncing all claws out very roughly (Which result in bloody and painful scratched pianist hands lol)

I usually vigorously yell NO but that doesn't seem to bother him because he tries again few seconds later.
And he's sneaky because he let me pet him, pretend he's relaxed close his eyes and boom attack.
That only happens after a playful time, because when he's relaxed, he's such a snuggler.

(PS : I don't use my hands to play with him, only toys, always. That happens when I pet him not playing with my hands)

I would love to have any educational advice on how to make him understand it's not ok to play claws out with humans.

Thanks in advance everyone, I love this forum.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Deborah is correct, you need to separate the play sessions (where you never ever play with hands) and the petting sessions. In his kitten mind, by putting your hand near him during play (and right after you've decided play is over is not necessarily when in his mind it is over) you are asking to "wrestle" as kittens do with each other. If Ayrad doesn't have another kitten or cat to wrestle with, he IS going to want to play rough with you...so you need to be firm now.

By letting him calm down from the excitement of play before petting, you put a distinction between the two things. He's a baby, and children often don't calm down quickly after racing about and being loud and rambunctious... it's the same for a kitten.

If he pounces on your hands without you having put them near him...say you are sitting quietly and he stalks and pounces on you, then scruffing him and lifting away from you with a firm NO is appropriate. If he is persistent, leaving the room and not paying him attention is also a good tactic.

He's young and probably used to having other kittens around, so this is a learning experience for him...but Savannahs are smart cats I am sure he will learn fast :)

Xcellmusic

Savannah Super Cat
Thank you very much Brigitte and Deborah.

I was thinking about that, he probably misses his wrestling sessions with his brother and sister.
I will follow your advices, it seems like the best way to make my baby understand and yes he's so smart!

I have another question about pouncing, he also does that a lot at bed time. When I get to bed he's acting like he's hunting me and pouncing my body vigorously like a predator chasing his prey (All claws out) lol

It lasts for a little while then he calms down and sleeps comfortably next to me like a little cuttie he is.
Then he wakes up in the middle of the night (And of course wake me up with him lol) monster mode and do it all over again.

As long as it tries to get my lower body (protected by the blanket ) it's ok, annoying yes but ok. I do understand that he has wild genes and that it's in his instinct I knew what I was going for.
But I'm just a little concern he would pounce at my face all claws out while I'm sleeping, do you think they naturally know the limits? (He already pounce at my neck once when I was working on my laptop)

Thanks in advance.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It's not the "wild" genes, it is a normal kitten behavior to pounce! Savannahs are on the high energy side of kitten behavior that is all, but do not make the mistake of accepting ANY behaviors in your cat because of the "wild" heritage. You do them and the breed a disservice if you do.

He's high in energy, he's lonely for a playmate and he is hopeful you can fill that role... but he's not seeing you as "prey" any more than any domestic kitten would...remember that Servals hunt mainly rodents in the wild just like any feral cat would...

Xcellmusic

Savannah Super Cat
I'm a newbie Brigitte, that's why I'm nicely asking advices from experienced SV owners.

That doesn't mean that I plan on accepting any behaviors. I just don't wanna make mistakes going against natural instinct either and that's why I need advices. (I work a lot from home, spends a lot of time next to him and give him a LOT of daytime playtime.)

What would you do for the night pouncing then? Thanks.

Trish Allearz

And she is nicely giving it :)

Her point is never excuse bad behavior as a breed trait due to their heritage.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Xcellmusic

Savannah Super Cat
I understand and Its very nice from her, from you and anyone who take the time to reply!

I'm glad to be a part of this extraordinary community of SV lovers! And I've found the solidarity on this forum amazing.

Does anyone have any tips on what should I do about the nocturne pouncing please?

Thank you very much

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Xcell, IMO, you are getting top notch advice. You may not realize it, but those are very experienced breeders responding. My 3yo F3 boys sometimes start playing that rough. I immediately stop and withdraw. These are very smart cats. They get the message eventually. But you do have to reinforce your limits consistently as many of our cats continually retest us on the limits. Patience, you will be amazed at how this breed of cats changes your life for the good!

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Oh as for the night pouncing.... I can't help there. My cats don't do that. I sarcastically suggested to another member to wear shoes to bed!