Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Please Don't Buy a Savannah Cat if...

admin

Paige
Staff member
  1. You have not researched the breed and spoken either to owners or breeders
  2. You want a lap cat instead of an intelligent, inquisitive, energetic cat
  3. You plan on having a family and will surrender the cat when a baby is due
  4. You do not wish to spend time and give attention to your savannah
  5. Your savannah cat wants to play with your dog and may be too playful at times
  6. You are NOT committed to this animal as a life long companion
  7. You have to move and don't want to take your companion with you
Life does happen and we realize that certain situations arise beyond your control, but...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
#3 is the one I find most infuriating...those that get a dog or cat to "baby" before having their human baby, and thence "have to" discard that dog or cat once human baby arrives because they don't have time or the pet acts out at the strange smelling and behaving intruder :-(

And "research" does not just entail looking at lots of pictures on the internet and investigating pricing...

I feel a tad cynical today...

admin

Paige
Staff member
#3 is the one I find most infuriating...those that get a dog or cat to "baby" before having their human baby, and thence "have to" discard that dog or cat once human baby arrives because they don't have time or the pet acts out at the strange smelling and behaving intruder :-(

And "research" does not just entail looking at lots of pictures on the internet and investigating pricing...

I feel a tad cynical today...
I feel the same way, hence the post :(

ambiente18

Site Supporter
I agree with you Paige - Savannah is a unique cat and the future owners of cats should be unusual, specific - they must understand ... For example - at first , the new own of my F3 male asked me -" is he the really Savannah cat?" (I live in Moscow - and the savannah's cat is not popular yet...) After 2 weeks - "yes, he (kitten F3) is exactly Savannah's cat and he crushed me to the apartment, but he is very clever and tender, I love him ...thanks...:)

D

Dantes

These are the same people who should *not* be given a license to procreate. If only there were licenses for such things.

SV Dad

Site Supporter
#3. We had cats b/c. (before children) First child developed asthma and allergies. Allergist told us get rid of cats.
Our answer, the cats were here first. We will not give up either the child or the cats. We love them both. If you (the doctor) can't find another option, we will find another practitioner. Cats stayed, children grew up. It worked out fine for all. ---Not like there aren't cats all over the world......
(Before I get blasted for this comment, I did make many environmental changes including custom building of a new home.)

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
Add moving to your list! I never understood getting rid of a pet because of a move. My husband retired from the Army not too long ago, and we always had pets, and they always moved with us. If I can move fromTexas to Maryland with my dogs, cats and horses with my children by myself as my husband was deployed, others can too. My father was in the Army as well. Our animals went with us, to include Germany. It never occurred to me that our pets wouldn't go with us...they were part of our family!

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
  1. You have not researched the breed and spoken either to owners or breeders
  2. You want a lap cat instead of an intelligent, inquisitive, energetic cat
  3. You plan on having a family and will surrender the cat when a baby is due
  4. You do not wish to spend time and give attention to your savannah
  5. Your savannah cat wants to play with your dog and may be too playful at times
  6. You are NOT committed to this animal as a life long companion
Life does happen and we realize that certain situations arise beyond your control, but...
Good list Paige.

I got really lucky. My two are active, inquisitive, playful, loving, and will also behave as lap cats quite often. Saturday night they curled up and slept in my lap for two hours while I watched tv. :)