Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PLEASE HELP

kittykitty

Savannah Super Cat
I recently put a deposit down on an f3 savannah male. I did so before reading this thread, and having heard many of the stories here I am kind of nervous about having a lower generation cat. I am looking for an affectionate cat that will be active and tightly bonded to myself and my roommate. I am NOT looking for a lap, but more so a cat that wants to be around me, but is happy to maintain some independence. I also really admire the look of the serval, and want a generation that will still maintain most of the exotic look.

Me and my roommate live in a smaller 2 bedroom apartment, we both work part time but have completely different hours. The cat will not be left home alone for more than 3-4 hours at a time. Neither of us work early mornings or late nights, so the cat will get plenty of love from the two of us when we are home.

What i want to know is, is it okay to leave an f3 home alone for several hours every day? We work 6 out of 7 days, so this will be a regular thing. I do not mind if the cat is mischievous while we are out, as long as he isn't crying at the door all day when we are gone :(.

Also, do most f3 cats keep you up in the late hours of the night? I go to bed late anyways, so I am talking around between 2-4am. We do not want more than one cat as of right now, so buying him a companion is out of the question as of right now.

Could someone who has experience with the f3 breed please help me out? Is the f3 breed a good fit for me?

Kristin

Animal Communicator
I am sure the more experienced breeders and owners will be on shortly to help you out. As I am sure you know, each cat is an individual, so it is difficult to know exactly what it will be like.

I have an F4 female, and she is used to me being away. I live with my parents, so sometimes they are home when I am not, but she doesn't really associate with them, and just waits for me to come home. 3-4 hours really isn't that much in my opinion, and if you are playing with your kitten, it should be okay.

Zeddie doesn't yowl at night, she sleeps on my bed, often curled into my legs, or on my chest. This is something that I worked on with her as a kitten though, as she can't be left to wander the house as she just loves to get into stuff. Being locked in my room doesn't give her the opportunity to do circuits at night. She does them in the morning, and before bed instead.

D

Dantes

This is just my experience with my own F3, he is the most well behaved, lovely little boy, plenty active and tons of head butts, but as you say, not so much a lap cat. HE does not keep me up in the morning or at night (I have Ragdolls for that behavior, a 25lb who thinks the first bit of light is a sign to sit on my head and chew on my hair), he is always sleeping on my legs at that time. Once he knows I'm up, though, he speeds through the house like Racer X. He is left at home for 8 hours a day 4 days a week, but then he has two Ragdoll brothers to keep him company. When I am home during the day, they sleep most of it anyway, as do most cats. My guess is that you'll know fairly soon whether he needs companionship but it sounds like you'll be around for him quite a bit. IMO everyone needs someone around that speaks their language now & again, but maybe not.

If I were to suggest something it would be to ask the breeder about your kitten's parents, their temperaments, and also tell the breeder about your concerns about finding a kitten with the right personality for you.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I recently put a deposit down on an f3 savannah male. I did so before reading this thread, and having heard many of the stories here I am kind of nervous about having a lower generation cat. I am looking for an affectionate cat that will be active and tightly bonded to myself and my roommate. I am NOT looking for a lap, but more so a cat that wants to be around me, but is happy to maintain some independence. I also really admire the look of the serval, and want a generation that will still maintain most of the exotic look.

Me and my roommate live in a smaller 2 bedroom apartment, we both work part time but have completely different hours. The cat will not be left home alone for more than 3-4 hours at a time. Neither of us work early mornings or late nights, so the cat will get plenty of love from the two of us when we are home.

What i want to know is, is it okay to leave an f3 home alone for several hours every day? We work 6 out of 7 days, so this will be a regular thing. I do not mind if the cat is mischievous while we are out, as long as he isn't crying at the door all day when we are gone :(.

Also, do most f3 cats keep you up in the late hours of the night? I go to bed late anyways, so I am talking around between 2-4am. We do not want more than one cat as of right now, so buying him a companion is out of the question as of right now.

Could someone who has experience with the f3 breed please help me out? Is the f3 breed a good fit for me?

Can you please change your info so we know if you are a male or female? I cannot stand looking at that question mark - thanks...

Savannahs are for the most part, very social cats...while I have sold a kitten to a couple of people with no other pets, I do not recommend it and I only sold to them, after they agreed that if their kitten was lonely, they would get another kitten or puppy or dog or some other companion animal...both people did get another kitten, not another savannah, to keep the savannah kitten/cat company.

That is my experience and I would talk to the breeder about your concerns.

D

Dantes

Maybe I misread or something but I think she said in another post she also has Devon Rexes, maybe she can clarify?

kittykitty

Savannah Super Cat
Maybe I misread or something but I think she said in another post she also has Devon Rexes, maybe she can clarify?

I had to leave them at home when I moved out, only one of the devons is mine but I thought it would be too sad for him to leave his sister-cat, he absolutely adores her. I decided to leave him with my family home so he could be with her. He is an extremely active cat and requires attention 24/7.

The biggest thing I have recognized on this thread that makes me nervous is that every single poster has more than one animal in their house. I love the breed, and intend on spending every free second I have with my cat, but I am sensing that there is a reason that very few if any individuals on this forum only have one savannah in their home.

kittykitty

Savannah Super Cat
Can you please change your info so we know if you are a male or female? I cannot stand looking at that question mark - thanks...

Savannahs are for the most part, very social cats...while I have sold a kitten to a couple of people with no other pets, I do not recommend it and I only sold to them, after they agreed that if their kitten was lonely, they would get another kitten or puppy or dog or some other companion animal...both people did get another kitten, not another savannah, to keep the savannah kitten/cat company.

That is my experience and I would talk to the breeder about your concerns.

Thanks so much for the advice! I am not opposed to getting him a companion, but not right away. I would like to get a puppy at some point, but I cannot see that realistically happening for at least another year. Do f3s need companions more so than higher generations such as f5s and f6s?