Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Please help!

kittykitty

Savannah Super Cat
Hi everyone,

I just got elmo neutered, and the vets instructions were not to let him lick his wound and to make sure he doesn't run for a few days since that might tear his stitches.

Well, elmo refuses to wear his cone. He literally goes crazy trying to rip it off himself until I take it off. He also will not sit still. I tried to put him in his crate but I cannot put him in there without his cone in fear that he will lick his wound! Once he is in the crate with his cone on, he just goes absolutely nuts inside, doing everything he can to get it off.

What should I do? He is really unhappy but I do not want him to get hurt :(

admin

Paige
Staff member
Take the cone off...I don't know why vets insist on cones for males...or you can get a soft cone at places like Walgreens...have you called your vet?

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Set him up in a bathroom or a bedroom with a litter box and his bed and close the door. He needs to calm down from the procedure and sleep off any lasting effects of the anesthesia. None of mine wore a cone and none engaged in excessive licking so don't worry about that unless you notice him licking too much or if the area looks irritated.

kittykitty

Savannah Super Cat
Take the cone off...I don't know why vets insist on cones for males...or you can get a soft cone at places like Walgreens...have you called your vet?
Yes. They said to take the cone off, but what do I do when I have to leave him alone for an hour? Should I leave him in the crate with no cone? Should I leave him out in the apartment with the cone? How can I keep him from running around like the vet asked?

admin

Paige
Staff member
Yes. They said to take the cone off, but what do I do when I have to leave him alone for an hour? Should I leave him in the crate with no cone? Should I leave him out in the apartment with the cone? How can I keep him from running around like the vet asked?
You can crate him with no cone as John suggested...IF he goes crazy in the crate, let him out...none of my males had any issues after being neutered...no crating, nothing.

kittykitty

Savannah Super Cat
thanks for all the advice!

I have moved him into a small bathroom and his cone is off. So far, he has not been licking the incision. I have to leave soon for about an hour. I put his litter box, food, water and a few of his chew toys with him in the bathroom. Should I crate him while I am gone or should I leave him in the bathroom as is? He isn't climbing around anymore but he's still playing with his toys at a slower pace.

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
You can crate him with no cone as John suggested...IF he goes crazy in the crate, let him out...none of my males had any issues after being neutered...no crating, nothing.
Same with mine. Never had an issue. All I did was put them in a bedroom by themselves and let them sleep off the anesthesia.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I find that often all they want to lick is enough to wash off the smell of the disinfectant used on their skin... and then they leave it alone.

Moving to the bathroom when you are not there to supervise is a good compromise... I am sure he will be fine :)