Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Please help

Vito

Site Supporter
Hi all, I'm hoping for some advice as I'm terribly worried about Vito (F4) 9months
On Friday, Vito didn't eat a thing all day/night. He looked lethargic and his temperature was 39.2.
Saturday morning he seemed hungry so gave him a small amount of Wet food, he ate it and vomited it all back up 5mins later along with what looked like bile. Then he refused all food after that. He had a very loose poo but is peeing fine.
Decided to take him to the emergency vet as we're very concerned.
Vet found him to be in generally good health, temperature was back to normal at 38.2, vet was sure he has a gastrointestinal upset, so gave him a emetic jab to stop the vomiting. Said to monitor him for a day or two and see how he goes.
Yesterday he started eating, although very little and did a normal poo and again peed as normal.
Today he's barely ate a thing, just some fish (twice today) but tiny amounts. He is well hydrated, seems alert ,no sign of any pain or discomfort, just not interested in feeding. He's toileting OK and playing. He has never been like this before and it worries me, we lost our beloved Bengal to FIP last year and the panic is setting in. I'm racking my brains trying to think what's upset him, food hasn't been changed, noticed he's getting a few teeth coming through, I thought he would have finished teething by now, could this be a cause?
I'm clutching at straws.
Do you think he needs to be seen again by vet? Any advice or experience here would be greatfully received.

Sean

Site Supporter
I can't add much to what your already doing. Keep an eye on him and go back in if you don't like what you see.
My best wishes.

John Popp

Site Supporter
No fish! That’s where to start. Boiled chicken breast and plain yogurt until his belly seems normal. Make sure he stays hydrated, the rest is a little more forgiving.

Fish should only be a treat food and no more than once a week. It’s also not the best food for recovering from a GI issue.

Keep us posted! The bland diet is key to turning the corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vito

Site Supporter
I can't add much to what your already doing. Keep an eye on him and go back in if you don't like what you see.
My best wishes.
Hi Sean, don't know if I'm just being an overprotective mummy, he's currently playing around with his fishing rod toy, usually this always gives him an appetite , but he's just not interested in eating. Will keep a very close eye on him. Thank you.

Vito

Site Supporter
No fish! That’s where to start. Boiled chicken breast and plain yogurt until his belly seems normal. Make sure he stays hydrated, the rest is a little more forgiving.

Fish should only be a treat food and no more than once a week. It’s also not the best food for recovering from a GI issue.

Keep us posted! The bland diet is key to turning the corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi John
Tried boiled chicken, it's usually his favorite actually but he is just turning his nose up to it, have been giving him yoghurt however which he will only lick off my fingers(wont lick from his bowl) but at least he's taking it. Tried small amounts of all his favorite foods but only eating the yoghurt at the moment. At least it's something. Do you think he could still be teething at 9months, looks like he has couple of teeth coming through. Thanks for your prompt advice.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Are you able to open his jaws and get a look at his teeth? Someone on one of the Facebook groups just mentioned her kitten had been very ill and refusing to eat and eventually she got a look at the mouth and she was teething and in pain. The vet gave some pain meds and kitten started eating soon after. So it might be worth looking into... or getting the vet to examine the mouth.

When you offer him food, does he look a little interested but then lick his lips and turn his head away? That would show nausea, along with that anti-emetic sometimes some Pepcid AC is a good idea. Ask your vet of course!

My "go-to" when I have a cat that is ill and refusing food is chicken baby food (check the ingredients to be sure it is just chicken and water no onions or garlic), and specifically warmed baby food and then offering by the teaspoon on the spoon to the cat. If they won't lick, try smearing it from that spoon on their chin and usually then they will go to lick it off and often then lick a little more from the spoon.. and it can start the process.

I think the loss of appetite that is caused by FIP is usually more gradual in developing, and vomiting isn't usually a symptom. At least that is my experience. ? I lost my kitten Moggie to what was probably the dry form of FIP, and his appetite was peculiar and inconsistent a couple months before he had any other symptoms. A GI obstruction is life threatening and can cause a lack of appetite and vomiting, but my vet told me a fever from an obstruction would indicate sepsis, which is quickly fatal. Not sure this would go away on it's own.... ? But it seems more likely it is something like salmonella from eating something gross... WC caught a bird in his enclosure last winter and ate it which seemed to make him quite sick. Vomiting, lethagia, looking uncomfortable, didn't like being touched ( he usually is very cuddly) loose poops, no appetite, but a couple days later and some probiotics for cats as soon as he would eat, he was back to normal.

Vito

Site Supporter
Are you able to open his jaws and get a look at his teeth? Someone on one of the Facebook groups just mentioned her kitten had been very ill and refusing to eat and eventually she got a look at the mouth and she was teething and in pain. The vet gave some pain meds and kitten started eating soon after. So it might be worth looking into... or getting the vet to examine the mouth.

When you offer him food, does he look a little interested but then lick his lips and turn his head away? That would show nausea, along with that anti-emetic sometimes some Pepcid AC is a good idea. Ask your vet of course!

My "go-to" when I have a cat that is ill and refusing food is chicken baby food (check the ingredients to be sure it is just chicken and water no onions or garlic), and specifically warmed baby food and then offering by the teaspoon on the spoon to the cat. If they won't lick, try smearing it from that spoon on their chin and usually then they will go to lick it off and often then lick a little more from the spoon.. and it can start the process.
Hi Brigette, thank you for your advice, I've had a wee look in Vito's mouth and to be honest nothing looks out of the ordinary , touched his teeth and gums and he doesn't seem to be in any discomfort, so I'm thinking we can rule out a dental issue, he doesn't lick his lips when I give him food, just turns away disinterested. I will get some baby food tomorrow and give it a try. I shall speak to the vet re/pepcid AC, it's surely worth a try, hopefully it might help settle things down. It's just so unlike him, he usually hogs his food down.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Hi Brigette, thank you for your advice, I've had a wee look in Vito's mouth and to be honest nothing looks out of the ordinary , touched his teeth and gums and he doesn't seem to be in any discomfort, so I'm thinking we can rule out a dental issue, he doesn't lick his lips when I give him food, just turns away disinterested. I will get some baby food tomorrow and give it a try. I shall speak to the vet re/pepcid AC, it's surely worth a try, hopefully it might help settle things down. It's just so unlike him, he usually hogs his food down.
You mention that he's well-hydrated, was that taking a pinch of skin behind his neck and it resettles quickly, or because you've seen him drink? Dehydration can cause inappetance...so wanted to double-check that. You could also ask the vet for an appetite stimulant, but the downside of those is that they can just mask the underlying issue...

Vito

Site Supporter
I think the loss of appetite that is caused by FIP is usually more gradual in developing, and vomiting isn't usually a symptom. At least that is my experience. ? I lost my kitten Moggie to what was probably the dry form of FIP, and his appetite was peculiar and inconsistent a couple months before he had any other symptoms. A GI obstruction is life threatening and can cause a lack of appetite and vomiting, but my vet told me a fever from an obstruction would indicate sepsis, which is quickly fatal. Not sure this would go away on it's own.... ? But it seems more likely it is something like salmonella from eating something gross... WC caught a bird in his enclosure last winter and ate it which seemed to make him quite sick. Vomiting, lethagia, looking uncomfortable, didn't like being touched ( he usually is very cuddly) loose poops, no appetite, but a couple days later and some probiotics for cats as soon as he would eat, he was back to normal.
Hi, I really appreciate your help, vet seemed pretty sure it's a GI, didn't feel it necessary to take radiograph X-ray, although I think that is the next step if things don't improve. Vito's not usually a chewer at all, but you never know what they get up-to when your in bed sleeping, so praying it's not an obstruction.
Will get him on probiotics tomorrow. His temperature is back to normal now thank goodness. Hubby thinks I'm obsessed with FIP, and as you know it's such a traumatic experience, I truly think it mentally scarred me after we lost wee Ravi.
I will keep you all posted on Vito's progress and thanks again.