Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Possible Savannah

StitchiesMom

Savannah Kitten
Hi I was wondering if you could help me, I got a rescued kitten but she acts like no kitten I've ever seen. She smells like a dog would, climbs trees within seconds (in her harness of course) head butts me ALL the time, makes cute little chirps and barks when she's jumping or excited, she also looks a lot like a savannah too.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Hi StitchiesMom! Truth be known, many kittens can act like that...some more rambunctious than others. Domestic cats can and will also give head-butts....and glad to hear you take her out on a harness and leash rather than let run loose!

The barking and chirping CAN be a savannah trait. Not sure about the doggy smell, though, lol. My Savannahs have no odor....

We would love to see pics of your kitten :) We would all be happy to help you figure out if she is a Savannah or not. Including a general description of the area she is from and where you got her will help us out, too!

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Pretty girl! While possible, I think it more likely she is a Bengal mix based on her eye shape; her ears are also in line with a Bengal trait...smaller and wide set apart, unlike a Savannah.

Regardless, she is very beautiful and it sounds like she has taken your heart! You can't ask for more, and I think she has found a great home :)

We won't mind if you consider an honorary Savannah :)

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I think Pam is correct that this girl looks a bit more like a Bengal than a Savannah. Having said that, Bengals were used a LOT in the early days of creating Savannahs and many Savannahs still carry some Bengal traits, so it's not impossible for your girl to be a Savannah-Bengal-etc. mix :up:

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Stitch should get the same vaccines that other cat breeds get. Standard vaccines are FVRCP (feline viral rhinotracheitis, calici, and panleukopenia), and rabies where required. There is some debate about whether to use modified live or killed, there are pros and cons to both and you can probably search for threads on this topic from the forum's home page, but ultimately it is a decision that should be made between you and your vet.

Chris Elliott

Savannah Super Cat
We have two Savannahs that are part Bengal. Both are sweet characters that we love, and are quite different in some ways. Oni is very talkative, with quite the repertory of calls, that, after a year, I'm still learning. Ziggy is much quieter, with a subdued meow, but also a grumble much like an old man--although he's only 3. Both love going out on a leash, and don't mind water much, although neither wants to hop in. Both have lots of energy and want to get in everything. Open a door or cabinet and they will investigate how to get in--usually until they do. Ziggy sniffs maybe more like you describe, blowing air out his cheeks, while Oni does the more cat-like (Flehman response) open mouth sniffing. I think it's just different ways of bringing air to the organ in the roof of their mouths. Both are on the thin side and are rather picky eaters. Ziggy is downright lanky--a person who saw him couldn't believe he was only 13 lbs. Oni, at 8.5 lbs, is more compact, with the two tone Bengal spots. Both are quite demanding and are quite sure we are here to serve them!

No matter the genetic heritage of your cat, she is sure to be a special animal. She is beautiful. Welcome to the life of serving a hybrid cat!