Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Possibly sick kitties

Mantha Meow

Savannah Super Cat
A kitty is throwing up and I don't know which one.. I can't separate them to see because they are both confined to my room only. The other day when I got home there was 2 throw up spots on the floor. I could tell it was wet food that wasn't in the tummy very long... Tonight when I got home there was another spot that looked more like diarrhea.. Neither kitty have ever had throw up/potty issues. I will be calling the vet tomorrow to set an appointment. Kinsler needs his annual shots anyway. The only change I've made is over the last 3-4 weeks they've slowly transitioned from dry food to dry/wet to just wet. It wasn't intentional just kinda happened.. Any and all advice/opinions welcome!!

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
I would definitely worry when there is vomiting and diarrhea- that can indicate a blockage. Sometimes they can pass it but trouble is when they can not. Things like a bunch of feather, string, etc can cause a blockage.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
It's hard to say what could be causing the problem - it could be the change of diet, although it sounds like you've done everything correctly there. It could be a blockage from a swallowed piece of toy, string, hairband or any number of other things you would never think twice about - until it ends up in your kitty's tummy.

There are so many possible reasons for a kitty to throw up, it is tough to know when to worry. I've had cats throw up for 2-3 days in a row then never again. Unfortunately, an initial vet screening is not always helpful - even an xray is not going to necessarily show a blockage if the object is not metal or calcium based, and for whatever reason vets are reluctant to jump right to a barium swallow, which is much more accurate in finding a blockage (but still not 100%).

I think what you need to evaluate is how much is kitty keeping down vs. throwing up? I know that's difficult with two of them but you probably have a fairly good idea of how much they eat as a pair - split that in half and compare to what has come up. Also, very important, make sure that kitty doesn't become dehydrated. Pinch the skin on the back of the neck - if it doesn't immediately spring back he may be dehydrated and need additional fluids. Sometimes simply rehydrating a cat will increase his appetite and get him to start eating again.

And finally, even if the vet says everything is okay, I would still keep a watchful eye on them, and if things don't improve it warrants further investigation.

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
Good points Patti. Watch their temperaments- if they get quiet and don't want to play there is no time to lose. A playing kitten is usually still in the "okay" range.

Mantha Meow

Savannah Super Cat
I have an appointment set for tomorrow afternoon. I cut back the amount of wet food just in case and made sure their fountain has fresh clean water and let Kinsler drink out of the sink as long as he wished this morning. The vet is aware of the issue and said to bring them in if I even suspect they are getting worse!

admin

Paige
Staff member
They may be fine and it could be something - you just never know with kittens/cats...I remember when Orion started vomiting, at first, I just thought, ok, he vomited..then he was vomiting in between meals and that is very unusual for a kitten...so it was only a day or so and I took him in and demanded am X-ray - sure enough he had swallowed a piece of wand from a wand toy...so you just never know...he could have died and I am surprised he did not...he was just a small baby and swallowed a 4" piece of hard plastic wand...don't' know how he did it and not sure how he survived...

Mantha Meow

Savannah Super Cat
Oh no Paige! That's so scary.. I'll definitely bring up whether or not I should do an x ray tomorrow. With everything else going on if something were to happen to my babies I'd just shut down 100%. They are my sunshine in life!

admin

Paige
Staff member
Oh no Paige! That's so scary.. I'll definitely bring up whether or not I should do an x ray tomorrow. With everything else going on if something were to happen to my babies I'd just shut down 100%. They are my sunshine in life!

Sam, that was a first for me..had NEVER had a kitten or cat swallow anything...I was so shocked!!!So you just never know...that being said, he was a baby and vomiting right after he ate as well as in between meals...cats do vomit, so I would watch carefully...

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Sam, that was a first for me..had NEVER had a kitten or cat swallow anything...I was so shocked!!!So you just never know...that being said, he was a baby and vomiting right after he ate as well as in between meals...cats do vomit, so I would watch carefully...

How did they get it out Paige? Did they do an exploratory? Poor Orion...and you!