Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purina Friskies canned cat food

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
I always bought the Blue Buffalo and Wellness grain free cat foods and other natural brands for my inside cats, but I've been feeding my outside cats the cheaper food, Friskies for 5 years now. I had a full blood panel done on my 2 outside cats and it came out great, so I guess this food isn't bad for cats. My vet also said can food is better than hard kibble. I was wondering if I should keep spending loads of money on these expensive no grain foods or not! I gave my F3 a taste of Friskies and he liked it!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
A person who lives off McDonald's isn't necessarily going to have abnormal blood work, doesn't mean he's eating healthy...

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
I know this cheaper food is no good, I'm just surprised the outside cats are healthy, so I was just wondering! I do feed my cats more can food than dry kibble though..they like the can food better anyway!

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
I have kept Elsa on what the Breeder recommended which is "Royal Canin Kitten" dry and Innova Cat and Kitten canned and she loves it... She actually prefers her dry food to her wet food for some reason.

Diane

Savannah Super Cat
MCDonald's food is loaded with sodium and fat :sick:.....good luck to anyone living on that stuff! ;)

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Yup, it doesn't mean that someone will have abnormal labs though. The body has a good system for eliminating excess sodium - until the body is compromised (sick), then it may start having problems. You will also not find any documentation of excess fat intake on routine labs, although you may see it on a cholesterol panel (not something run on cats). Again, doesn't mean you're eating healthy just because the lab work currently looks good.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
Elsa has taste ;)

Diablo on that note won't eat red meat- unless it is prime filet. The stinker knows the difference between prime and choice, and it never fails the spoiled brat won't touch the choice (Jarvis and Mickey eat it for him) but goes nuts at the infrequent times when we buy prime.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Elsa has taste ;)

Diablo on that note won't eat red meat- unless it is prime filet. The stinker knows the difference between prime and choice, and it never fails the spoiled brat won't touch the choice (Jarvis and Mickey eat it for him) but goes nuts at the infrequent times when we buy prime.

They are smart... They know the difference just like we know the difference. Jake does not care, he will eat it all anyway... Give him the good stuff, and he will honor you by eating it first.

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
Eddie eats anything...Mojo is much more selective....no red meat, no dark meat...chicken breasts only! I use it fresh as treats only...Mojo prefers his canned mixed with his dry...he won't eat the canned unless we mix it in, but hey he LOVES the Blue dog food we feed our mastiffs!