Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Puss Scratches Windows Till Her Paws Bleed

Mochasispuss

Savannah Adult
Hi everyone,

Puss has been scratching window borders since she's been in heat but it has gone worse for the last 10 days (right after we've found her after she escaped and spent around 24 hours outside home)

She continuously scratches the window borders till her paws bleed, then she makes her way upstairs, takes a rest for around an hour and comes back to continue scratching.

I've tried the off spray and it only works for 5 minutes at max.

I'm very worried about her getting an infection or having pain due to the bleeding.

Any suggestions on how to keep her off the window border and what to do with the bleeding?

Thank you all in advance :(

Chris Elliott

Savannah Super Cat
Sometimes different flavors of the bitter off sprays work better with certain cats.

Two-sided tape? I'd put painters (good masking) tape if the borders are painted and put the two-sided over that so that removing it doesn't peel the paint off.

Get her booties for her front feet? Might take some training to have her keep them on...I'm picturing little booties with suspenders going across her shoulders!

Hot sauce or cayenne works for ants, squirrels, and dogs. Might work for cats.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Are you going to spay her? She is exhibiting those behaviors most likely because of hormones...being in heat without being bred is not good for the cat at all...and she will exhibit all kinds of behaviors while in heat and after until she is spayed.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes, really the best way to stop the behavior would be to spay.

Right now, she has the intense hormonal drive to get out and find herself a mate, she escaped once so is now more motivated to get OUT...

I'd think you could try the double-sided tape that Chris suggests, but I suspect she might be more driven than can be dissuaded by normal means. Not sure you would be able to keep booties on her paws...I cannot imagine being able to persuade any of mine to keep such things on!

Is it certain windows she is scratching at then? You describe her going upstairs to nap before returning and starting again, so maybe she needs to be confined upstairs for a bit... if you are intending on spaying her soon that would seem a plan....

Chris Elliott

Savannah Super Cat
Yes, really the best way to stop the behavior would be to spay.
Not sure you would be able to keep booties on her paws...I cannot imagine being able to persuade any of mine to keep such things on!

I agree on the spaying. Females in heat are very determined and insistent. My mother bred Russian Blues, and I know how it is for all concerned.

Yea, the booties were a bizarre vision I had and felt the need to share it...

Mochasispuss

Savannah Adult
Thank you all for the replies :)

I definitely am going to have her spayed. But i don't know when is the right time to do it. She's been in heat for several weeks and i think (hope) these are the top days.

Any suggestions on spaying time and anaesthetics procedure?

admin

Paige
Staff member
The sooner the better...preferably when she is not in heat...but if she is constantly in heat, then you need to get her sister asap...as for anesthetics, whatever your vet is used to using is usually the best way to go

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
As Paige says, the sooner the better. If she seems to have been continually in heat for weeks (and this can happen in some cases) then the vet might choose to do the spay regardless. There is more risk and more bleeding if spayed during heat though... so the best option is to catch her out of heat, as long as that IS possible. Definitely talk to your vet about this, and see what they feel is the best route...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Agreed - there is more bleeding when a cat is spayed while in heat, but as long as the vet is prepared for this he/she should be able to manage it without too much difficulty. I have had to spay a couple of girls while in heat and never had any post-op complications.