Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Quarantine

piplove2829

Savannah Adult
My new savannah is scared to death of me. Just brought her home and have spent all day in the bathroom with her and she is still shaking and hides behind her cat carrier.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
If you have just brought her home I would have suggested giving her some quiet time...so leave her in the bathroom and just let her explore and listen to the sounds of your home and smells. Do you have other pets, children etc that she will be hearing and having to process?

Was she shipped to you or did you pick up from the breeder?

cbain

Site Supporter
When I picked up our male F3 at the airport he was stressed out and he told me so all the way home to his room, in his room he had toy's , water, food wet and dried , litter box, cat T P. he would not come out of the carrier but showed interest in the teaser toy's, I left the room after 10 minutes and called the breeder and told them he was here and ok, I gave the kitten time to explore the room on his own time, when I reentered his quarantine room later with a teaser toy the kitten wanted to play and be friends, his name is Cody . it worked out well for both of us, Cody is now a well adjusted varmint that gets into everthing, keep's my wife slim keeping up with him.

Last edited:

Patti

Admin
Staff member
She may remain scared for a day or two but will hopefully start warming up to you. Remember, she was just ripped away from everything that was familiar and that she had bonded to. Some Savannahs are great and pop right out of the carrier, others need a few days to acclimate to their new home. Please try to be patient with her and let her get to know you in her own way and in her own time.

I'm not sure what you are doing while in the room with her but try ignoring her. Sit on the floor and read a book aloud so that she gets used to your voice. Avoid eye contact, at least for now. If you have a wand toy you can slowly swish it on the ground every once in awhile to see if it catches her interest. Also, if she is hiding all the time while you're in the room I would leave her alone for a couple of hours at a time to encourage her to come out to eat, drink, and use the litterbox.

Please keep us posted and let us know how she does. Hopefully she will learn to trust and love you quickly and you will soon have a wonderful, amazing new companion.

piplove2829

Savannah Adult
I have an f6 savannah and 3 domestics she will have to get used to. But for now she is in her quarantine room. She is and f2 and I was told she will take longer to warm up because she's a higher generation? She's slowly started coming around, I slept in there with her last night and she has started to bight my fingers and play with her wand. Is there a big difference in f2 and f6 savannahs?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

SlugMaster

Site Supporter
I have an f6 savannah and 3 domestics she will have to get used to. But for now she is in her quarantine room. She is and f2 and I was told she will take longer to warm up because she's a higher generation? She's slowly started coming around, I slept in there with her last night and she has started to bight my fingers and play with her wand. Is there a big difference in f2 and f6 savannahs?

Ahhh, she is completely cute. I have a F5 and two F2s. The F5, Hobbes, was the most changing to socialize.
Each cat is an individual, but F2's seam to be more intense about their behavior, e.g. on a walk, you go the direction that he wants to go, what ever that may be. FYI, my second F2, Max is the most social and demands attention, which he mostly gets. Now if I could find his off button :eek:

I would be careful on the biting, it can be cute now, but when they are full grown it is not so cute.

Good luck and try to give her time to adjust.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I think the biggest difference between F2 and F6 is the degree of persistence (stubbornness) an F2 has that an F6 may not necessarily display. You have not seen that side of her yet, but I suspect you will before too long.... ;)

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Awww...she is so, so sweet and beautiful!

There should be no difference in generations as far as bonding to you, as long as it is done slowly, and this might take two weeks or longer. Don't try to hurry the process. Cats of all breeds have different personalities, however...she may take a bit longer than some kittens to adjust and not because of generation. I think the fact you say she is coming around after just one day is a good sign, but I would not let her bite your fingers. Nibbling and biting on fingers, toes and feet and any part of the body is a no-no, and something we breeders work hard to not let kittens learn :) Offer a stuffed toy instead and/or stop playing if she bites or nibbles your fingers. Continue the wand toy interaction since she is responding to that, but don't force her to play or interact. As Patti mentions, ignoring her, avoiding eye contact and reading out loud or even singing softly will help immensely, as well as being patient and giving her lots of time to adjust as you have other kitties she will meet when the time is right. If she is comfortable with you being in her quarantine area, you might try bringing a laptop (if you have one) into the room and speak and play with her occasionally, but also give her some alone time so she welcomes your visits.

With my own cats, my F2 and F3 girls are the quiet, well-behaved ones here. My later generation girl and boy (both F8B) on the other hand are very boisterous, naughty, and active. There can be all sorts of activity and personality levels in between that for each generation as in any breed of cat. I do find that the higher generation (F2, F3, as I don't have an F1) kitties we have were a bit more sensitive to loud voices or quick movements, at least initially, but they got over that as we are not a quiet household ;) Move slowly, speak softly and handle your girl gently if that seems to work....

How old is your baby? Were you able to meet her parents, or older siblings and see how their personalities were? Did she come from a busy household with children, other cats, dogs, etc or from a quiet one? Keep in mind there can be differences in personality and ability to adjust to new homes even within litter mates, and also depending on how well-socialized the kittens were while at the breeders....take your time, be patient and I am sure she will come around :)

Oh! What is your new baby girl's name?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Agreed, there isn't too much difference beyond a level of persistence and determination to have her own way possibly. But I've had F5s harder that way than F2s... there's no real hard and fast rule on that :)

As kittens I do not believe an F1 or F2 is slower to warm up, generally they are very quick doing everything and are exuberant little ones. As long as the kitten was well-socialized up to now, she should be quick enough to come around :)