Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Question about breeding

maryannb6843

Savannah Super Cat
I have just applied to TICA mentorship program since I have been thing about breeding for years.
I aquired my Savannah F4 SBT neutered Malle 6 yrs ago. Savannah Cat Chat was where I learned most of what I needed to know about him then I joined some of the Savannah Facebook sites. What peaked my interest was I was in talks with a very well known breeder about possibly getting one of her females next year when she told me I would have to get the stud first. I wanted to start with a couple of females and put them out to stud, I’m aware of the increased cost and it not necessarily working with any particular studs.
I had that experience when I bred my Persian and it took 3 different studs. Anyway she was insisting this is how it had to be done and it was discouraging because I was told a stud needed separate accommodations or a room of his own. I am building a cateo next spring for my cats but in the winter it will be too cold. I just read a thread on this sit where a breeder was talking about having 3 females that she takes to the stud and they are good with that. I was wondering if I could send her a message to get some info since that is exactly what I want to do.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I have just applied to TICA mentorship program since I have been thing about breeding for years.
I aquired my Savannah F4 SBT neutered Malle 6 yrs ago. Savannah Cat Chat was where I learned most of what I needed to know about him then I joined some of the Savannah Facebook sites. What peaked my interest was I was in talks with a very well known breeder about possibly getting one of her females next year when she told me I would have to get the stud first. I wanted to start with a couple of females and put them out to stud, I’m aware of the increased cost and it not necessarily working with any particular studs.
I had that experience when I bred my Persian and it took 3 different studs. Anyway she was insisting this is how it had to be done and it was discouraging because I was told a stud needed separate accommodations or a room of his own. I am building a cateo next spring for my cats but in the winter it will be too cold. I just read a thread on this sit where a breeder was talking about having 3 females that she takes to the stud and they are good with that. I was wondering if I could send her a message to get some info since that is exactly what I want to do.
Most breeders will simply not do this. One breeder may do it, but that breeder likely is well known. I'm not sure who you are referring to.

What well known breeder are you referring to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maryannb6843

Savannah Super Cat
The breeder with the 3 females was from a thread earlier today which I can’t find. I think there was Suzy in her name. The well known breeder was F1 Hybrids

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Sometimes it is possible that if you get a female kitten from a breeder that also owns an unrelated stud (not the father of that kitten) that breeder may make an arrangement to allow you to bring your female back. Stud service is simply not very common in the cat world. It's far more complicated than with dogs and more risks involved.
I see that you were able to source studs for your Persian, so if you are determined on that course, I would do research and see what is available near you but be prepared for a lot of rejections. And as you found with your Persian, you need to find more than one available stud for stud service. Personally I'd want a stud that fit my idea of type not just availability, and that would even further limit your choices. Good luck!

maryannb6843

Savannah Super Cat
Found the name of the person on this site who wrote the thread about having the 3 females
Savvy She.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

maryannb6843

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks for the good wishes but this is going to be something I don’t plan on jumping in blind. I have the TICA Book reading suggestions, getting a mentor, lots of questions to be asked, visits to catteries, and the remodeling of the downstairs part of my house. I think when I make a couple of visits I’ll know if it’s for me or not. I may just wind up with another Savannah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro