Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about Stark.

K

KIM

So as I have been posting, my little one Stark is a shy boy that is starting to come around. Been with us 2 weeks today. So I need to take him to vet to have a check up next week, and a rabies shot and some routine blood work. So I delayed it a week because I wanted to get him settled, but it must be done. Any advice? Is he going to hate me after lol?

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
NO. He will not hate you. He MAY AT the vets...but when you get him home he will see home as safe and be happy.

K

KIM

I feel so bad. Maybe he will realize when we get home, its pretty good here lol. I just dont want him to be scared. Im such a suck..ugh

John Popp

Site Supporter
Not sure what your vet's set up is, but if there are multiple rooms ask if you can come in early and just hang out in the exam room. Leave the carrier door open, bring a toy or two that he really likes and sit on the floor with him. You just have to make him be at ease to the best of your ability.

With my boys, we always go for walks after their examinations and we hang out as much as we can before and afterwards. I also stash away a treat for the return trip home in the carrier. Catnip mouse if that's how they are motivated or something like a dehydrated duck foot. They still probably aren't exactly going to like the whole experience, but if there's enough good stuff that goes on they won't go running when they see the carrier coming out.

K

KIM

Yea actually they said to me, that he wont be rushed and pounced on to get it done, but to let him get a bit eased. Since hes our new baby and hes shy, he may get scared. I get we will see how he reacts. He loves his springs, and I will take a treat for him. Wish me luck!

K

KIM

Im guessing it wouldnt make a difference even if I waited another week. Hes not going to like it next week or two weeks from now. Has to be done, so just crossing my fingers

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
yes. Might as well just "get 'er done" and begin to let the experience show him how nice HOME is, and how nice Mom is at home.

K

KIM

I delayed it a week already, and Im guessing delaying it another week isnt going to fix anything, so just going to get it done

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
If it were me, I would wait a week or two more for this vet visit. Stark is just now starting to become a bit more comfortable with you and his new home. He is coming along, slowly but surely...but not quite there in being comfortable with you, correct? I think the difference in having this done now, and waiting a few weeks yet, is that this will be an experience he probably won't enjoy, from strangers in a strange place, no less...better to have him seek comfort from you in a few weeks after the vet work once he is thoroughly bonded, than setting him back if he has the check-up, vaccine and bloodwork done now.

I am sure his breeder will understand the delay, if you have kept them updated on his progress to date.

Keep in mind this is just my two cents as a breeder. I have had one shy kitten in the past go to a new home that I recommended the new owners delay the required vet visit and rabies vaccine until their kitten was more bonded to them...:)

K

KIM

So you feel that if i do that he will backtrack a bit as far as bonding goes?