Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Question!!

K

KIM

Ok. I know this is a loaded question, but what are the signs that I should be looking for when its time to let my little one finally out of the safe room and begin the process of acclimating to the house. I want to do right by my little boy and know he is ready! Thank you all for your patience and continued support! this is truly a great place to get help!

K

KIM

Kim after two weeks if he's darting out it may be time to let him explore (supervised, and then put back in the sage room). That said, if he's just hiding the whole time, you might want a wand toy or something you can interact with him with to keep him out in the open and make him comfortable with looking around. If he really can't be coaxed out of hiding I'm not sure he's ready just yet. One part of the quarantine is creating a bond with you as well, so if he isn't comfortable with you or playing with you yet, perhaps you should wait longer.
He is playing and yesterday i got him playing with his springs. Hes not too bad but I dont think hes quite 100 percent ready. He will eat out of my hand and come close but hes still just a bit standoffish. Getting him back in the room is another story after lol. He is getting better though so Im happy for that. Are you from canada?

K

KIM

In north of toronto. My daughter lived in edmonton for a couple of years because of her hubbys work. Im doing everything I can to help Stark. He is worth all the time it takes. The adjustment is more for him than me. I want him to be happy, and I guess its the mommy side of me that wants to see him totally happy. I just want to eat him up, but he has other ideas LOL

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
He is playing and yesterday i got him playing with his springs. Hes not too bad but I dont think hes quite 100 percent ready. He will eat out of my hand and come close but hes still just a bit standoffish. Getting him back in the room is another story after lol. He is getting better though so Im happy for that. Are you from canada?
I would give him another week if you are already past the usual two weeks' quarantine. If you are starting to see progress, then another week of boredom in the room might make him interact more with you... and hence you will see results faster than if he has the entire house to be hiding in...

K

KIM

I would give him another week if you are already past the usual two weeks' quarantine. If you are starting to see progress, then another week of boredom in the room might make him interact more with you... and hence you will see results faster than if he has the entire house to be hiding in...
Exactly what I was thinking. Whats the point of his coming out and hiding. We dont get interaction that way, but we get lots in the safe room. Last night hubby was playing for an hour with him..then he got pooped and jumped into his bed. I went up after to check him, and hes running around with a ball in his mouth. lol

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It's easy to rush it once you see those first signs of kitten friendship...but give him more time in that room... those small interactions will strengthen and the hassle of maintaining quarantine will pay off. And in a year's time you will barely remember how slowly this process went :)

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I'm glad to hear he is coming around but I suspect part of the reason that he wants to get out is so that he can find better hiding places to avoid you. You have made great progress, letting him out at this point before you have really bonded may lead to a set back. Be patient, give him a bit more time, and I think you will see improvement in how he reacts/interacts with you.

K

KIM

Exactly. I think its just me feeling bad hes in that room, but its not like hes in there and sees no one. Ive seen people say a week and babies were acclimated, and ive seen people say it took a month...so there is no hard and fast rule I guess
I'm glad to hear he is coming around but I suspect part of the reason that he wants to get out is so that he can find better hiding places to avoid you. You have made great progress, letting him out at this point before you have really bonded may lead to a set back. Be patient, give him a bit more time, and I think you will see improvement in how he reacts/interacts with you.

K

KIM

Exactly. I think its just me feeling bad hes in that room, but its not like hes in there and sees no one. Ive seen people say a week and babies were acclimated, and ive seen people say it took a month...so there is no hard and fast rule I guess
I