Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

rabies vaccination and license - Los Angeles county

Rafiki

Site Supporter
It seems that the County of Los Angeles Department of Animal Care and Control left a nastygram at our door. I have no idea why the heck they would even visit us. They must have seen the sticker next to the front door that our vet gave us that tells the fire department to look for 2 cats and to deliver them to our vet if they cannot get a hold of us. Apparently we are being told that we have to purchase licenses for the cats, get them vaccinated for rabies and pay a fine. Has anyone encountered anything like this? My cats are indoor cats. They only come outside with us while they are wearing a walking jacket and on a leash. I really do not want to vaccinate them for rabies because there are so many nasty side effects and the risk of exposure is insanely low.

Treywi

April
Our city requires both rabies vaccine and licenses. We knew they needed rabies done and all our cats and dog have them. But we recently found out we also needed licenses. Of course we also found out we are only allowed 4 animals which of course we are over one. So trying to figure out what to do about that. :(

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think that if your city, county or state require Rabies, the only way around it is to have a letter from your veterinarian stating that the cat cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons (adverse reaction to vaccination)...even then I don't know if all places will allow an exemption. You'd have to investigate.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
Our municipality requires vaccination for rabies & an annual license.
It also limits the number of cats you can have.

Trish Allearz

Personally, sounds like someone has a grudge against you and called something in. There is no way AC was walking around onto people's porches to look at fire safety stickers to leave nastygrams. Makes no sense.

As is-- sounds like you'll just need to do it :( Sorry!

Jason E

Savannah Super Cat
Personally, sounds like someone has a grudge against you and called something in. There is no way AC was walking around onto people's porches to look at fire safety stickers to leave nastygrams. Makes no sense.

As is-- sounds like you'll just need to do it :( Sorry!

^^ This. Very unlikely they just were in the neighborhood.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
It is unfortunate that there are so many anti-pet ownership laws cropping up all over the county. One of the reasons I always encourage people to check out their local laws before purchasing a Savannah!

admin

Paige
Staff member
California, in particular, is coming up with some very anti-pet, anti-breeder legislation in many counties - especially southern Cali...

Sue Armstrong

Site Supporter
Yes, California is very tough. In Sacramento all cats are required to be licensed and have a rabies shot. Luckily they give 3 year rabies shots. You also can only have a certain amount of cats depending on your county. Just 3 or 4 max. I was lucky and went to court and was granted a small breeder license and was allowed to have 12 cats. That also is because none of my neighbors complained. They actually sent out letters before the court date within a 10 mile radius and if someone was against it and showed up in court it would not have been granted.
After I got the license, and had to renew it every year, I never heard from them again. They never came out to check on anything. Really, they just want the revenues.
I would venture to say someone turned you in as they just do not come knocking on your door out of the blue.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
So of course we only have until Friday to comply as that is when the guy from the county returns. My vet does not have office hours on Thursdays. But....she is awesome! She had us drive to her home this afternoon to give them the rabies vaccine. How great is that?!