Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Rabies Vaccine

Gryphoak

Savannah Super Cat
How many of you have vaccinated your SV for rabies? Mine had his kitten vaccines before I got him but the breeder did not want him to have rabies until he was older. He is now 5 months and I am wondering how important/safe it is for a SV to have the rabies vaccine if he is an indoor cat (with occasional car and leash outings) that is not going to travel. My other two cats have always had a yearly rabies vaccine even though they are indoor.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It can depend on where you live and whether it is required or not. For an indoor only cat in a state or county that does not require it, there likely is little reason to do it. Here in CA it is not required, and my vet doesn't advise it unless I am taking a cat to cat shows, in which case I may fly into a location that requires it.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
It all depends on your state laws - most states require rabies for cats. Mine does not and I do not vaccinate for rabies unless I am shipping a kitten to a state or country that does.