Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Rafiki wants coffee?!

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Rafiki is a 5 month old F3 female Savannah kitten who seems obsessed with coffee. We cannot put a cup down anywhere without her sticking her face into it. I drink mine unsweetened with lots of milk. At first I thought it was the milk that she was after. but my husband drinks sweetened coffee with just a dab of milk. She likes it all. The other day, I swear that she deliberately tripped my husband so that he spilt his coffee all over the floor so that she could try to lick it up. She has knocked the cup out of his hands on another occassion as well. She is on a raw meat diet so it's not like she is used to mooching at the table or eating people food. Anyone else ever have a coffee addict for a cat? Any ideas on how to stop it....she is seriously learning to jump so there aren't that many places where a coffee cup is safe from her!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
We can't leave a glass or mug of anything unattended... we've just learned to be careful. If not coffee, she will likely also stick her head into any glass of water, wine, soda... Savannahs are curious plus also seem to really get into certain smells. It seems for Rafiki the coffee smell is very attractive!

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
Rafiki is a 5 month old F3 female Savannah kitten who seems obsessed with coffee. We cannot put a cup down anywhere without her sticking her face into it. I drink mine unsweetened with lots of milk. At first I thought it was the milk that she was after. but my husband drinks sweetened coffee with just a dab of milk. She likes it all. The other day, I swear that she deliberately tripped my husband so that he spilt his coffee all over the floor so that she could try to lick it up. She has knocked the cup out of his hands on another occassion as well. She is on a raw meat diet so it's not like she is used to mooching at the table or eating people food. Anyone else ever have a coffee addict for a cat? Any ideas on how to stop it....she is seriously learning to jump so there aren't that many places where a coffee cup is safe from her!
I have a coworker whose Egyptian Mau is addicted to coffee. The cat wakes her up just before the alarm would go off and won't stop pestering her until she gets her little bit of coffee.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
LOL. I don't know if I can see myself using sippy cups for my morning coffee. Perhaps I should switch her to decaf as Rafiki most definitely does NOT need the caffeine ... unfortunately, I do. I guess I should be grateful that she is not interested in wine yet.

LOL I was thinking more along the lines of a travel mug. But a sippy cup might work for a bit, I can see an SV figuring it out pretty quick and drinking from it. ;)