Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raw diet for new kitten

Karen Gok

Savannah Kitten
I have been feeding homemade raw to all my cats for about 4 months now. I use the alnutrin mix for raw with bone, add the recommended amount of liver per the package, and I also add extra taurine, salmon oil and chicken hearts. Everyone loves it. I'm getting a new kitten soon and I'd like to know if the raw with BONE is okay to give him.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Are you feeding whole or ground bone? If the bone is coarsely or finely ground and mixed with the meat, the kitten shouldn't have a problem eating it. If whole, it may take a little while for the kitten to develop the jaw strength to eat it, in which case you should feed bone-in chicken wings or game hen wings for the calcium. And if you're using whole bone, you can always smash it with a meat mallet or hammer to crush it a bit until the kitten can handle larger bones. You can also supplement with powered calcium.

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
I use the 4.5mm grinder plate and my kitten had no issues with the bone starting around 5 weeks old.

But keep in mind you need to keep the new kitten on what they were eating at the breeder for at least their two weeks quarantine. Then slowly start to switch them to what you want them to eat. Start replacing a very small portion of their existing food with the raw and every few days increase that amount slightly.

Karen Gok

Savannah Kitten
I use the 4.5mm grinder plate and my kitten had no issues with the bone starting around 5 weeks old.

But keep in mind you need to keep the new kitten on what they were eating at the breeder for at least their two weeks quarantine. Then slowly start to switch them to what you want them to eat. Start replacing a very small portion of their existing food with the raw and every few days increase that amount slightly.

Is the 4.5mm grinder plate the smallest of the 3 that come standard with most grinders?

I use the middle size plate now.

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
Not sure, my grinder only came with 2 and this is the smaller one. The size should be stamped on the outside of the plate itself.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I wean my kittens onto raw and use the plate with the smallest holes. If you are concerned that the bone bits will be too large you should double grind a portion specifically for the kitten. However, as Heather said, you want to keep the kitten on the same food when he first comes home to you - he will be going through enough changes and should not have to deal with a new diet on top of everything else. (y)

Karen Gok

Savannah Kitten
I wean my kittens onto raw and use the plate with the smallest holes. If you are concerned that the bone bits will be too large you should double grind a portion specifically for the kitten. However, as Heather said, you want to keep the kitten on the same food when he first comes home to you - he will be going through enough changes and should not have to deal with a new diet on top of everything else. (y)

Karen Gok

Savannah Kitten
I just spoke with the breeder tonight and ordered the food that Bodie is used to. I will definitely wean onto raw once he is settled in.

Thank you.