Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Raw recipe

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
Hey there fellow servants,

Here's the contents of the raw mix I made for the first time today:

4.5lbs Cornish hen - whole birds
1.25lbs rabbit - deboned
.5lb chicken heart
.5lb chicken liver

Are these proportions correct? Is there anything else I should be adding?

They graciously cleaned my hands afterward. :)

IMG_0803.PNG

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
Oh! I should have mentioned that the hens were mostly de-skinned, and that they also get roughly 1/2 cup of Orijen dry per day.

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
It's early and I might not have done the math correctly, but to me it looks like you need about 152 more ounces of meat and 20 more ounces of secreting organ to get to abakanved 80/10/10 ratio.

Cornish game gen is 39% bone content, and also Heart is fed as muscle heat not secreting organ.

Also you should leave the skin on. Rabbit is low in fat and cats need fat in their diet.

I'd add meat that had more taurine (heart or boneless thighs) for the extra boneless meat and also add a source of Omega 3's like Sardines or some Salmon Oil.

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
Thank you Duma, I'm sure your math skills are better than mine at any hour of the day!

Skin on, check.

More meat - check, I have heart leftover and will add it, and some chicken.

More secreting organ - is it okay to add more liver, or do I look for some kidneys?

I really appreciate the double-checking, the raw food thread I was looking for last night popped up this morning, lol.

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
If you can only source Liver that is OK, but if you can do half Liver and half other secreting organ it is ideal.

Monika Gajewska

Savannah Child
Look for Facebook group: Cats completely raw and proud. They have recipes and raw food calculator. Group is also very supportive. You should also forget about dry food, it doesn’t do any good. It also makes cat stomach less acidic, which can affect digesting bones and fighting bacteria. Raw is the best option for your cat, you’ll see difference sooner than later. Good you made that decision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
Look for Facebook group: Cats completely raw and proud. They have recipes and raw food calculator. Group is also very supportive. You should also forget about dry food, it doesn’t do any good. It also makes cat stomach less acidic, which can affect digesting bones and fighting bacteria. Raw is the best option for your cat, you’ll see difference sooner than later.

We've already seen a big difference, I noticed when we started trying them on raw meat to see if they'd eat it. Bear is like a new cat, he plays a lot more. Ninja is pretty much the same, except he also now scrabbles at my leg when dishing up food. ;)

Thanks for the calculator tip, unfortunately I am one of those rare weirdos who neither has nor wants a Facebook account.

Kibble is the only reason I get any sleep at night, LOL! They don't get much, and we're a happier household for it. :)

John Popp

Site Supporter
Kibble is the only reason I get any sleep at night, LOL! They don't get much, and we're a happier household for it. :)

When I had a kibble eater, we used a puzzle feeder to keep him occupied and work for it. Dropped his kibble intake by more than 70% and his effort to get to it tripled. Worked great and over time he eventually migrated to being more interested in eating his raw food.

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
When I had a kibble eater, we used a puzzle feeder to keep him occupied and work for it. Dropped his kibble intake by more than 70% and his effort to get to it tripled. Worked great and over time he eventually migrated to being more interested in eating his raw food.

Funny you mention this, I just ordered a puzzle feeder the other day! (And a ripple rug!)

They both adore the raw food, got lucky there. The kibble is only for nighttime because I get pounced in the wee hours otherwise. Hoping the puzzle will keep him happy with less, exactly. :up:

DougRD

Site Supporter
My vet recommended the Indoor Hunting Feeder for kibble. I haven’t tried it yet but it supposed to prevent bad behavior by having the cats use their hunting instincts instead.

https://docandphoebe.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk