Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recipe for Raw Ground Rabbit

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
Happy 2015 Everyone!

We need some advice on a new raw recipe. We are owned by two 15 month old F4 littermates (Leo and Phoebe) and an almost 8 month old Male F2 named Duma. The Quads (as we affectionately call them) have been VERY picky about eating their raw for the last 8 months or so. They were fed ground raw at the breeder so we continued with that recipe when we got them. 75% Chicken Quarters, 15% Stew Beef (or similar), 5% Hearts and 5% Liver. All ground and frozen into 1 or 2 day portions. Our breeder didn't supplement but we used Mazuri whole prey just to make sure they were getting what they needed. They also got some Salmon cubes every few days as well. And they had access to Evo dry since raw wasn't feasible for us as an early morning feeding.

Things were good for a while and they were eating copious amounts of raw, but it seemed around the time they started teething they went off their raw (especially Leo). We had to spoon feed him and BEG him to eat it, and even then he didn't eat very much of it. We have tried without Mazuri and it made no difference. We switched to just using Chicken thighs instead of quarters and it got a little better and then they went back to way they were. We then remembered that the breeder used Beef Hearts (we had used chicken hearts because it was suggested to try to keep as much as possible from one animal source.) So we switched to beef hearts and again it got a little better and then back to way they were. They also don't even want Salmon anymore, which really surprised me.

We have tried NV Instinct Raw freeze dried rabbit by itself to see if they liked it and they went crazy for it. Then I crushed that on top of their regular homemade raw and all 3 seem to enjoy it. (most of the time anyway!) We found a farm near us that we can get fresh rabbit from so we are going to get a small amount and try them with that by itself. What I'm not sure of is what most people are using - whole rabbit including head, whole rabbit without head or just rabbit parts? And then with that what else do you mix with it? (I was hoping to maybe mix with some chicken to keep the cost down, but not if they won't eat it!) And is Mazuri whole prey OK to use or even necessary? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We have also switched to Acana for their dry food after the recalls that Evo has had and that is going well. And so far our F2 will eat just about anything so I guess we are lucky!

Thanks!! Heather

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I've not used rabbit before but personally I think I would give it without the head or fur.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I mainly feed rabbit for raw... I would try it at first without the head and fur... If you can get the rabbit parts and grind them, that would be ideal...then add organs... I use mazuri sometimes... Often though my cats will not eat their food if I do that.. Do they still have dry available? If so, that may be the issue... They are just not hungry enough to eat their food... I learned the hard way

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
Thanks Ladies! I will try without the head or fur and see if they like it. Paige - if I use the rabbit organs as well and they don't like it with Mazuri, is it balanced enough? I was worried that rabbit might not have enough taurine. And we aren't able to take away dry completely because we can't feed raw in the morning and with a kitten in the house we don't want to skip a morning feeding altogether. Once he is older it will be easier. Thanks!

admin

Paige
Staff member
Thanks Ladies! I will try without the head or fur and see if they like it. Paige - if I use the rabbit organs as well and they don't like it with Mazuri, is it balanced enough? I was worried that rabbit might not have enough taurine. And we aren't able to take away dry completely because we can't feed raw in the morning and with a kitten in the house we don't want to skip a morning feeding altogether. Once he is older it will be easier. Thanks!

If you leave the dry food down, grind the organs with the rabbit and then add a bit of Taurine, if you ant, since it is pretty much tasteless, that should work...since they are getting dry food, they should not need mazuuri...

Lately there have been many issues with people feeding raw and over supplementing, which causes some problems....

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
Thanks! I know you cant feed too much taurine but I'm never sure about the other stuff that is in the Mazuri.
Have great weekend! (will you be at the TICA show this weekend?)

Patti

Admin
Staff member
What kind of problems have been occurring with over supplementing? I haven't heard about this...

admin

Paige
Staff member
Thanks! I know you cant feed too much taurine but I'm never sure about the other stuff that is in the Mazuri.

You can't really over supplement with Mazuri, if you pay attention to how much you are giving...but the recipes on catinfo.org with added supplements have been recently accused of leading to over supplementation causing feline hypoplasia and other congenital issues...

admin

Paige
Staff member
What kind of problems have been occurring with over supplementing? I haven't heard about this...

Mara Summers posted about this a couple of weeks ago...feline hypoplasia amongst other issues...she has actually stopped feeding raw...and others are coming forward as well...

admin

Paige
Staff member

The TICA show in Raleigh? NO I will not be there...but I will be at the show in NJ next weekend...