Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Remi’s being moody

Remi's Mommy

Site Supporter
She has been acting moody lately, I don’t know how else to describe it. When we are outback doing gardening, a lot of times she will come over to me and rolled over and wants brushed. It’s usually a very pleasant bonding experience, but lately it only last about 20 seconds and then she wants to attack me. I don’t think she wants to hurt me, she doesn’t really dig her claws in and opens her mouth real wide and gently takes my forearm in her mouth, but doesn’t bite. But her eyes are saying I dare you. Once I redirect her she is back to normal. Don’t get me wrong I’m not scared of her any means. She is 2 1/2 now, so I don’t know if that has anything to do with it. She is just more aloof than normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
Bear does that to me, usually during brushing or a pet session where he gets really worked up. He's never dug in or bit down, and redirects easily, same as Remi. I've come to the conclusion that he is marking me because he opens wide and seems to be trying to rub the inner corner of his mouth on my arm. I could be way off, though, who knows what they're thinking!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
It seems to be an odd behavioral change after 2-1/2 years, makes me wonder if there is something bothering her (pain, etc.). I think if it persists or worsens I would get her checked out by a vet just to make sure everything is okay.

Remi's Mommy

Site Supporter
I thought there might be something wrong also, but she just seems to do this when she is getting brushed. She looks forward to it. But I think she gets over stimulated. It’s almost like she tests me. She will just lay there after her brushing, and she will get those Serval eyes going on and cocks her ears halfway back and she will lunge at me. Now she will open her mouth and put it on my bicep but not bite and wrap her arms around mine all while maintaining eye contact. I just tell her, be nice and then it’s back to normal. So I’m just not sure if it’s just play.

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
I thought there might be something wrong also, but she just seems to do this when she is getting brushed. She looks forward to it. But I think she gets over stimulated. It’s almost like she tests me. She will just lay there after her brushing, and she will get those Serval eyes going on and cocks her ears halfway back and she will lunge at me. Now she will open her mouth and put it on my bicep but not bite and wrap her arms around mine all while maintaining eye contact. I just tell her, be nice and then it’s back to normal. So I’m just not sure if it’s just play.

That's exactly what Bear does, only during brushing, and I've read other threads here of cats doing similar behaviors upon being stimulated by pets or brushing. I have to hold a brush for Ninja to gnaw while I groom him, otherwise he'll go after my arm. Oy, these funny cats!

Renee

Savannah Super Cat
This is so funny to me as Loki started doing this about 6 months ago! After he does his business in the morning he runs laps and we chase each other back and forth. Sometimes he launches himself on my back. He finally ends on the cat tree mouth open and panting. I mess with him and he grabs my arm with his mouth (not hard at all) and with his two front paws and tries to lay on top of my arm. I think it's a dominance thing.

I continue to mess with him and he loves it, but it has been a weird change of behavior to what he used to do. He turned 2 in April.

I just make sure to win the play fight. I wouldn't want him to think he was my alpha, lol. He's so silly, sounds very similar to what you are experiencing.