Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Rescue Savannah with Tape Worms.

DianePurls

Savannah Kitten
Hello, we have just, Monday, rescued a Savannah and brought him home. He's gorgeous and so well behaved! (Someone trained him well!)

I am a little bit worried about him though. He's been through so much since being picked up by the local By-law! He had his vaccination on Nov. 29th along with Advantage Multi dewormer, Drontal feline dewormer on Dec. 7th, Rabies on Dec. 14th and I have a dose of Milbemax to give him on the 21st.

I know that tape worms are difficult to eliminate from his system but 3 different kinds? It seems a lot for a little guy... (14 lbs of skin and bones.) he's lethargic and is sleeping 90% of the day, his appetite is OK, especially when the treats come out and he's drinking lots of water and is very vocal in the mornings. Although he is happy to be in the house, we live in northern Alberta and it's -25c today, he has no interest in playing but loves all the touchy feely attention that he gets/demands. LOL Is/was this an appropriate treatment plan for a rescue? Is his lack of energy a side effect of the Rabies shot or a combo of his worms and worm meds or all of the above?

I believe from inspecting his poo, that he still is battling the worms... He has lost almost 1.5 lbs since he was first brought to the vet on November 29th.

Thanks for any advice you may have to offer. I am anxious to have a happy and health Savannah!
Diane

Last edited:

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Hi DianePurls. Welcome to the forum! Your poor baby has been thru the ringer. Worms deprive the body of nutrition and result in a listless cat. Rabies vaccine can also make him sleepy for a day or two. I cannot speak to the appropriateness of the treatment but it does sound like he was in pretty bad shape when he came to you. I hope that he responds well to the meds and your tender care.

DianePurls

Savannah Kitten
Hi DianePurls. Welcome to the forum! Your poor baby has been thru the ringer. Worms deprive the body of nutrition and result in a listless cat. Rabies vaccine can also make him sleepy for a day or two. I cannot speak to the appropriateness of the treatment but it does sound like he was in pretty bad shape when he came to you. I hope that he responds well to the meds and your tender care.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking... he's going to be a unhappy camper till he's well.

He looks like your kitten but bigger! :) My Avatar is from when he was coming around this summer, before we knew he was homeless. Glad I found him again and I hope he can regain his former glory! 2640.jpg

This photo was him in jail last week.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Your poor baby! I certainly hope you can lick this infestation and get him feeling better! Advantage II is to treat the fleas that carry the tapeworm, and the Drontal will treat the tapeworms themselves. I believe Milbemax also treats tapeworms (as well as other types of worms) so if he is still struggling with this problem I would definitely give it.

DianePurls

Savannah Kitten
Thank you for the explanation of the meds. It all makes more sense to me now!

I definitely intend to give him his final treatment (I sure hope that this last dose will take care of the worms!) but I was concerned that they might have over done it. I don't truly trust the vets in my area because many are in it just for the money! eg, This little pill cost me $55.00. Frankly it should have been free and part of the adoption as deworming was part of the package but I refused to stress my boy out more by having to bring him back to the vet. He really dislikes car rides and has been through enough stress.

Thanks again!

DianePurls

Savannah Kitten
Ambush away... she's Oh so beautiful! :)

Yes, we met him, Mr Puss, early this summer on our front porch. He'd come and go when he felt like it. We thought he was just a friendly outdoor cat. He had a collar and was quite a bit heavier than he is now. Mr. Puss was the name on the collar. We liked the name, it suited him and... our previous cat, that passed away in my arms, at the ripe old age of 18, 3 years ago, her name was Miss Kitty so it might have been fated!?

He hung around all summer. He'd stay for an hour or 2, sometimes longer and then bugger off, come back later. We'd give him a few treats now and again but we didn't take him in or feed him as we still thought he had a home. He lost his collar... didn't think much of that. He also was loosing a bit of weight but just added that up to fresh air and exercise verses the stuck in the house bored eating over the cold months. Come the middle of September and after a heavy rain over night, Mr. P was waiting for us to come outside. He looked like a drowned rat! Any cat with a home would have gone home, right? Was he home? We decided then that he was ours... off to the store I went and bought all the stuff, treats, toys scratching post... He gladly came in the house but something clicked in his brain and all he wanted was out! So I let him out... I presumed that he would come back... but sadly he didn't! Why? I was baffled... almost 4 months of daily visits and now absolutely gone?

I have been searching all the lost/found cat forums, the SPCA and by-law for him and nothing... Pretty much gave up... Till last week! By-law had him and posted a "Please adopt me" notice on FaceBook. There was no doubt in my mind that it was him. They had picked him up in my area of town so it had to be him! We couldn't have been more excited to see his picture so I made an appointment for us to adopt him. The rest is history! We are pleased as punch that he is back in our lives :)

The general consensus at the Vets and By-law services is that he is Savannah! I am hoping he will take to a harness and go for walks next summer. Maybe he's take to the car better on a lead than in a crate? We'll see!

Last edited:

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
Well Diane, you have one cute little cat there. I shall be praying for him and sending him healing energy. Also I will send "kill the worms" energy. ;) Lets get that boy back to his active and healthy self. :)