Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Rough play or aggression?!

moondiamond

Savannah Super Cat
Hey everyone!

Haven't posted in a little while but have a question! Our F6 Dexter just turned a year old, and he is a big strong boy at 21 pounds! He's a total sweetheart and a very snuggly purr monster. He is also very energetic and a bit of a brat sometimes

He loves to play of course and can get pretty worked up. Sometimes he plays kinda rough, he's a bit of a biter but NEVER enough to break skin or anything. Just little nips. His latest thing is full out pouncing on me!!! The first time he did it it kinda caught me off guard! Like full out took a running leap and grabbed me in a bear hug LOL. No claws or scratching though.

But sometimes I can't tell if he's actually getting annoyed during play and I don't want it to ever turn into real aggression. He just seems to get so much more fired up than any other cats I've had before. He'll sit and looks like he wants to just jump at me.

Does this sound like normal playing behaviour for an SV?"

Thanks all!

admin

Paige
Staff member
It sounds normal, but I would curb that nipping... When he tries or goes to nip, you can scruff him and say no or act like he is hurting you and cry out like another kitten or cat would do. You can also stick a small toy in his mouth for him to nip instead.

Usually cats tend to start flicking their tail back and forth when they are annoyed or the pupils of their eyes are huge... Those are some of the signs I notice....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I have found that the more active cat breeds can sometimes become overstimulated with play. I have seen this in a couple of my cats. Usually if I stop what I'm doing and change gears to a calm voice and gentle scritches they will calm down and go back to normal play.

moondiamond

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks for your replies! I try to help Dex learn not to nip, I will say NO loudly and sternly and usually he will let go right away, but it hasn't stopped it happening completely yet.

He definitely can get overstimulated which is when this pouncing game has happened. The other thing he does is he will sit very upright with his ears back, and his mouth slightly open, and watches my every move. I will gently pet him and speak softly to him when he does this to try to break the rough play cycle - again he has never bitten hard or scratched at all, never broken skin. But it's this stance that he takes that I wasn't sure if he was still playing or warning me that he is annoyed! Have you guys seen that before?

MissyL

Savannah Super Cat
Yes it is a sign that he sees you as "prey". Its a natural instinct. My Zeus has scratched me and attacked me a few xs badly, however he does know how to plat with retracted claws etc. Im glad your cat hasnt done this. My cat mostly attacks when he is scared and spooked. He tends to get that way for no reason.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

moondiamond

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks so much WitchyWoman! Makes total sense when you put it that way, he must just get super hyped up and playful. I can't even imagine him trying to hurt me, he's honestly the sweetest thing. I'll just be careful not to play too rough as I don't want him to eventually start using claws or teeth!!