Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Running out of ideas....

D

Dantes

I have a whole list of raw diets that the boys won't eat. I have a whole list of canned food the boys won't eat.

Every week I cook a chicken and feed them that, but just chicken alone isn't enough. I tried BalanceIT but the boys know that it has good stuff in it and refuse to eat it. I tried adding Mazuri, but they know the difference there too and refuse to eat it.

I feel like they're not eating enough food. Duma is pretty darned small for a SV, Dante is pretty skinny (IMO) for a Ragdoll. But when I give them food, they refuse to eat it.

I don't want my boys to starve. And I'm getting tired of wasting food. Cans are like $2/ea and a bag of Primal is over $20. Pretty much threw out a whole bag of Primal turkey because no matter how I served it they refused it. A bag of Small Batch chicken costing nearly $30 went in the trash as well. Even Weruva, which was always a hit with Dante, is running its course. At least Stella and Chewy's I can leave out for a while so maybe they'll nibble it, but they don't seem to like that anymore either.

What to try next? I just can't bring myself to give them kibble (had a cat die from kibble-related illness, plus Dante always gets his FLUTD symptoms and pees on my bed when he eats kibble). But that is the one thing they will eat if it's available.

If I *had* to give them kibble, what could I give them? Almost all kibble has had really bad recalls and reading stories of cats dying from kibble is too depressing. Blue, Natura, Canidae, etc there is no good kibble. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/pet-food

Ugggggh. Pulling out hair and completely exasperated.

scorpius

Chirps & Massive Headbutts
My SV cats got sick of raw chicken about 3 months ago. Since then they have been on raw beef (supplemented at times), doing great. And if this isn't enough to coax them, dabbing a skosh of salmon oil onto the food is irresistible to them (but I don't need to do this much really). Your SV cat mileage may vary I'm sure... dj

Melody Waara

Spotlight Savannahs
My SV cats got sick of raw chicken about 3 months ago. Since then they have been on raw beef (supplemented at times), doing great. And if this isn't enough to coax them, dabbing a skosh of salmon oil onto the food is irresistible to them (but I don't need to do this much really). Your SV cat mileage may vary I'm sure... dj
Mine went off raw chicken recently, too. We bought some rabbit and duck ground from Hare Today to mix it up a bit - that seems to be helping.

Harp

Savannah Super Cat
have you tried the natures variety brand wet/dry? from my research it is one of the best brands of food you can give your cat (i know some people will disagree/say whatever they feed is best.) this is just from my own research and talking to a few different people. its not the most expensive stuff out there, but its some of the best quality wet ive seen in can.

i know someone who wets their natures variety kibble a bit to add moisture before feeding and the cat will eat it up. infact the cat prefers it over natures variety wet from the can. in this case a ragdoll cat.

D

Dantes

have you tried the natures variety brand wet/dry? from my research it is one of the best brands of food you can give your cat (i know some people will disagree/say whatever they feed is best.) this is just from my own research and talking to a few different people. its not the most expensive stuff out there, but its some of the best quality wet ive seen in can.

i know someone who wets their natures variety kibble a bit to add moisture before feeding and the cat will eat it up. infact the cat prefers it over natures variety wet from the can. in this case a ragdoll cat.

Nature's Variety I believe has Carageenan in it, something I'm trying really hard to avoid. And if I don't trust their canned, then there's no way I'd trust their kibble.

They don't eat the raw food from this company either. I am guessing that NV, like Primal, have to do that pasteurization process and that's what the boys won't eat. Actually the only raw that they're still sort of eating is RadCat, but that's stupidly super expensive.

D

Dantes

Have you tried raw rabbit? My cats go crazy for that
I don't think I can go down this route. The idea of grinding an actual rabbit...I'd be crying the whole time. Yes, I know I should grow a thicker skin and come to terms with reality, but I'm too old to change at this point.

I tried giving them Primal Rabbit, Stella & Chewy's Rabbit--These were at least $10 more expensive than the regular flavors and they ended up in the trash, what a waste. I also tried Nature's Logic Rabbit, they ate a few cans and then that was it. They refuse it now.