Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Running with a Savannah Cat?

Hi all, first post here so I hope I'm not being a complete idiot! :confused: I'm looking to get a Savannah soon but want to make sure I have the full picture before making a commitment!

So my question is this: I am a runner, could I take a Savannah with me for a run? I know people take them for walks, but this is a bit different.

Any thoughts?

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
Interesting question.

I suspect it would not be a proper fit for the cat. In nature the cat is more of an ambush, quick sprint, hunter, while dogs tend to be the endurance hunters.

Of course a nice backpack carrier would let you take the cat along and maybe a short run now and then for the cat might be a fun change of pace.

Kristin

Animal Communicator
From my experience walking my sv, I have to convince her to go with me, she doesn't just follow me and walk nicely like a dog. She wants to sniff everything and go where she wants to go. There is no way i would be able to take her running on leash.
That's just my girl, I'm sure other peoples cats walk better than her though :p

MattM

Savannah Super Cat
Pretty much what everyone else already said. I have been walking my SV for a few months now and he has gotten very good on a leash. I would never be able to take him out for a jog. He walks just fine with me, but if and when we do run, it is usually from spot to spot in short and fast sprint.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
My F5 boy does a little bit of running with me, 100 yard dash style. Then he usually likes to lay down for a breather.
My boy doesn't have the endurance to run for more than a couple hundred yards, loping or sprinting.

D

Dantes

I usually carry a badminton racket with me (you can buy them for $2-3 on ebay) to remind Duma that we are going someplace. If I didn't do this, he'd get distracted. All the time. He gets distracted despite the racket. But he is a cat, even if he denies it.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I tell people that they walk just like my beagle does, from interesting thing to the next...he doesn't heel too well either and would not be a candidate for going for a job with...

I'm not sure I could see it working out to take a Savannah with you jogging...

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I've only ever had one Savannah who will walk alongside me like a well-trained dog. Most of my cats wander from interest to interest like others have said. I think Paige's Taj does walk well beside her. Not sure about jogging with them; perhaps in very short sprints? I'm too old and lazy these days to try that ;)

ginamarie1221

Savannah Super Cat
I once jogged (slowly) with mine, while taking down garage sale signs. I was quite amused! But. I also have to wonder whether or not it was just something he did that ONE time, or if he would do it again.