Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Savannah bit me giving her Metronidazole dose...uuggg

Savannah

Savannah Super Cat
So I have 3 cats. Savannah is the Savannah. My Bengal tested positive for Giardia. Had to bring all cats so she could prescribe meds. Pretty sure Cooper the Bengal is the only one that has it as he is the only one showing signs. Got it from a dog we had months ago pretty sure as he was positive. So the other cats I could get the pill down but Savannah just bit me pretty good. Bleeding. Ok but it hurt. This is the first day. 6 more days. Ugggg.. Any suggestions. She is super picky about any cat treats. She is super smart. lol Don't think she meant to bite me just didn't like me trying to get the pill down. I hear it is bitter. This sucks. Thanks all!!!!!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
My suggestion is to use the more effective medication, fenbendazole (Panacur) for Giardia, with the added advantage that it comes in a tasteless powder you can mix into your cat's food!

If you wish to continue with the metronidazole I suggest coating the pill with a small bit of a pill pocket. It won't make her wish to eat it by itself but it will prevent her tasting just how horribly bitter that medication is.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Is it any easier to give her liquids? Rafiki tested positive for Giardia (although she was symptom free). Our vet had it compounded. The only other thing I can think of is pill pockets but those are always tricky with cats....all it takes is for 1 pill to come out and they will never eat the darn things again. I did a bit a research and found that the LA water had a high amount of the parasite. I had been using filtered water from the fridge but changed over to bottled water as an added preventative measure.

If you want to be amused, check out Leonard's video on how to pill a F1 Savannah. Lets just say that everything did not quite go as planned. He uses a pill popper.

Savannah

Savannah Super Cat
My suggestion is to use the more effective medication, fenbendazole (Panacur) for Giardia, with the added advantage that it comes in a tasteless powder you can mix into your cat's food!

If you wish to continue with the metronidazole I suggest coating the pill with a small bit of a pill pocket. It won't make her wish to eat it by itself but it will prevent her tasting just how horribly bitter that medication is.
Yeah but my 3 cats all are taking it. Not sure how to get them all to eat the same amount of food etc... So mixing in the food would be tough.

Savannah

Savannah Super Cat
Is it any easier to give her liquids? Rafiki tested positive for Giardia (although she was symptom free). Our vet had it compounded. The only other thing I can think of is pill pockets but those are always tricky with cats....all it takes is for 1 pill to come out and they will never eat the darn things again. I did a bit a research and found that the LA water had a high amount of the parasite. I had been using filtered water from the fridge but changed over to bottled water as an added preventative measure.

If you want to be amused, check out Leonard's video on how to pill a F1 Savannah. Lets just say that everything did not quite go as planned. He uses a pill popper.
thanks for the video..haha sorry about the water that is a bummer. yeah savannah hates those pill pockets. she will only eat pure treats chicken. just pure dehydrated chicken treats......lol

Savannah

Savannah Super Cat
The usual way to do it would be to give them individual plates/bowls and mix the powder into those individual ones.
well my family is not usual. I use 2 dry food bowls and 1 wet food that the 3 of them all share. Works great. If I put it in 3 bowls how will I know who eats what? That's the problem. They do not eat on command unfortunately. lol thanks so much!!!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
If there is any food that they will go crazy for then you can make it work. Just take away the dry food for half a day and they will be hungry enough to eat when you offer them bowls. I'm just trying to find a way for you to avoid pilling a cat that bit you.

Fenbendazole also comes in a liquid form that is pretty tasteless too, just messier. My vet dispenses it but you can also buy it online without a prescription.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
You can start by making sure they are very hungry. Maybe feed them later than usual and the meal before you start doing this should be smaller to ensure they're hungry for the next. Then you feed them the wet food in 3 different room with doors. Bedrooms, bathrooms whatever it takes.

You can try wrapping her in a towel to give her the pill. Coat the pill with butter or olive oil so it goes down easier.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
There are also pill dispensers you can purchase to save your fingers in the future. It sounds like you are not going to be able to 'trick' her into eating it by hiding it in food. I agree with Brigitte, either get it changed to liquid, or use panacur instead as it is much better tolerated.