Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Savannah breeding ?'s

Tom

Savannah Kitten
I live in South Carolina. My friend recieved a cat that is supposed to be a savannah x bobcat. Is this breeding going on anywhere else? Does anyone know of any breeders in SC? The owner/breeder was going to destroy him for beign a runt, so she gave him to me. He (breeder) said that he can't register him because he is the runt! Is this normal for breeders to do? To destroy the runts? He also does it with the dogs he breeds!!!!! He (breeder) is suppose to be registered with SC as an exotic animal breeder! Is there any way to check this out or report him for cruelty to animals?

Thanks
Tom

Trish Allearz

Well- the breeder is full of crap... Like- fuller then a cat's litter box that has been skipped for over a week... That full of crap.

First- there are a lot of people who think they have a Bobcat x domestic hybrid- from what I've seen/read, that is not possible. Please read...

http://www.messybeast.com/small-hybrids/rufus-lynx-hybrids.htm

Second- no registry- NONE- requires the runts to be destroyed or even really takes notes of individuals when registering the offspring (at least in the United States). Instead- the registries note the date of birth of the offspring and the number of offspring- sometimes, it may note the colors/patterns and sex, but that's about it.

You can report him for cruelty, but all you have is hearsay from one person. Why don't you google the kennel/cattery and see if other people have had issues with him/her?

admin

Paige
Staff member
Tom, I do not believe that breeding...and there is no reason the kitten could not be registered, the breeder did not register for his own reasons...and no ethical or I know would ever destroy a "runt" of the litter - ridiculous!

Do you have the breeder's name? Where he is located? And any pics of your kitten...

It could be a Savannah to pixie bob breeding, which makes more sense.

Tom

Savannah Kitten
Thanks for the info.
I do have pics & trying to upload now for you to see. I am working on getting as much info on the breeder aI can. My friend will be seeing the lady she got him from tomorrow & hopefully will get more info on the breeder.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
If the cat is a Serval X Bobcat it would be easy enough to prove via DNA and would be a world-first! As Paige suggests, it is FAR more likely it is a Serval-Pixiebob cross. And contrary to "legend" there is no bobcat behind the Pixiebob breed, and that has been ascertained via DNA studies.

No, good breeders should NOT destroy the runts...they should raise them and place them appropriately, and also try to see if there are any nutrition issues that have caused this poor kitten to be born with issues. In many cases a kitten that does not thrive (a runt) may have a health issue that if discovered may be treated.

M

macmanmatty

Cute cat looks like it might be part savannah or pixie bob. But there is no bobcat in it and it is not full blooded anything.

A

Alice

Lol I love the belly pic!! Whatever he is, the first picture is adorable!!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I agree with Trish that the kitten looks like an adorable tabby kitten :)

If there is Savannah heritage it looks to be very late generation, and the outcross is masking a lot of traits. I hope his scratched ear heals up fast! He's a definite cutie!