Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Savannah Cat - A, B, C or SBT

admin

Paige
Staff member
A-registered Savannahs are Savannahs with only ONE Savannah parent, usually the Savannah mother and a domestic outcross sire (such as one of our permissable outcross breeds – Egyptian Mau, Oriental Shorthair, Ocicat or Domestic Shorthair). All first generation Savannahs are "A" registered. So any mating in which one of the parents is not a Savannah results in an "a" designation.

B-registered Savannah is one in which both parents are Savannahs, but not all grandparents are Savannahs. For example, crossing an A-registered Savannah to another A-registered Savannah will give you B-registered offspring.

C-registered Savannahs are when all four grandparents are Savannahs … or two generations of Savannah to Savannah breeding. Crossing a B-registered Savannah to another B-registered Savannah will give you C-registered Savannah offspring.

SBT stands for "Stud Book Traditional" and is a cat with three generations of Savannah to Savannah breeding – all great-grandparents are Savannahs. Two C-registered Savannah s will produce an SBT litter. This is what is considered a purebred cat and is the eventual goal of our Savannah breed section.

These codes are not terribly important to the pet buyer, but critical to a breeder. To develop this breed, we need to progress through the codes to SBT. The importance to the pet buyer of codes might simply be that you might expect a "B" kitten to be typier than an "A" kitten. This is not true in all cases, as careful selection of the cats is necessary no matter what the "code is.

Most of this information is courtesy of the Savannah Breed Section.

drew5892

Savannah Super Cat
So basically the a is the closest you can get to the serval. I read this literally 4 times. Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
So basically the a is the closest you can get to the serval. I read this literally 4 times. Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question.
The closest you can get to a serval is an F1 which, as I read Paige's info above, I suppose would be an F1A. However, not all "As" are necessarily closest to a serval. I have a F2A -- his mom is an F1 and his dad is an Egyptian Mau.

drew5892

Savannah Super Cat
The closest you can get to a serval is an F1 which, as I read Paige's info above, I suppose would be an F1A. However, not all "As" are necessarily closest to a serval. I have a F2A -- his mom is an F1 and his dad is an Egyptian Mau.
I'm aware of the F categories, however is it better to have and A, B, or C?

admin

Paige
Staff member
Well... All F1s are As... Most F2s are Bs... It depends on what you are looking for... Do you want a purebred Savannah? That would be an SBT... What generation are you looking for?

drew5892

Savannah Super Cat
Mainly for and F2, I love the fact they have the size fluke :) I'm not sure of the importance of the ABC through. I don't want and SBT from what I've read they tend to be the normal size cat. Not saying that is not good, but I would like a big kitty.

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
No matter what generation, there is NO GUARANTEE of the size of a cat. I have seen big F6's and small F1s. IN GENERAL...Males tend to be bigger then females, and lower gens tend to be larger. BUT NO guarantees.

drew5892

Savannah Super Cat
Thank you Cary :)

I don't mean to be rude or anything on the comments, just new to the breed and learning as much as I can. And trying to do all the research I learn before I have my new kitten.