Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Savannah Cat Price | Savannah Kitten Price

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I don't think that posting - or not posting kitten prices on a website indicates whether or not the person is a scammer, but it is definitely a good idea to get (or ask for) references when considering a breeder that you're not familiar with.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Agree Patti...I do not post my savannah cat prices for a reason...I want to speak with the potential kitten buyer and not feel that my savannah kittens are just a number...

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Agree Patti...I do not post my savannah cat prices for a reason...I want to speak with the potential kitten buyer and not feel that my savannah kittens are just a number...

I understand your position Paige. But I don't believe that people who are worried about affordability look at a cat as just a number. From my perspective as someone who has purchased 4 SVs, it is awkward to communicate with a breeder to get to know one another, scope out the cats, have the breeder assured that you can provide a good home and then find out they can't afford the cat. Waste of time for the prospective buyer and for the breeder. People have a budget and some prefer to know that they can afford the cat, or have an idea of how long it will take to save for one, before they begin a discussion with a breeder.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member

I know when I was shopping, that I can of felt that if they did not post the price, something just did not feel right... I wanted to at least have a ball park idea before confronting someone, not wanting to waste their time or mine. I understand you wanting to talk to them, but by the same view point, you could be chasing away great potential clients.

Once I decided on the kitten that I wanted, I then contacted the breeder and we had a fantastic long conversation and today, I feel that for any reason any time 24X7 I can call them with no problems.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I know when I was shopping, that I can of felt that if they did not post the price, something just did not feel right... I wanted to at least have a ball park idea before confronting someone, not wanting to waste their time or mine. I understand you wanting to talk to them, but by the same view point, you could be chasing away great potential clients.

Once I decided on the kitten that I wanted, I then contacted the breeder and we had a fantastic long conversation and today, I feel that for any reason any time 24X7 I can call them with no problems.

John, many breeders do not post their prices, so it is nothing unusual or sketchy...I sometimes will work with people and if I post a price, they may think it is set in stone and that may chase them away as well..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sue Armstrong

Site Supporter
I have never posted my prices to my website. Just the way I have done it. My hope is that people will either call or that they will email a bit about what they are looking for so I have some kind of idea. I always ask what generation they are interested in and what is their price range. I have found that with a good conversation, many times even though what I have posted is out of their price range, I may have another kitten or maybe am about to retire a cat that will fit into their household nicely. Or, I will adjust my pricing to a certain degree because they offer such a good home and I have a great repoire with them and a kitten that I think deserves this famiy. I still get the short emails just saying how much, but then I also get the emails saying "do you have kittens" and sometimes I think to myself, did you not even look at all of the kittens that are posted on my kittens page? I have friends that post prices and still get the same silly emails. Some people either are just mass emailing or don't really look at your site at all. Not sure why they even bother to email. I guess since I have not posted prices for the last 15 years, I am not going to start now. This has worked for me.

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
Ladies, what you are doing is working fine for you. I think the old adage "If it ain't broke..don't fix it" applies here. :)

Trish Allearz

I've posted prices. And I've not. Neither has seemed to effect the kitten inquiries. Even with prices posted, you get, "how much?" And "what's your best price?" LOL

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Kristin

Animal Communicator
When I was looking, I just checked all the websites of breeders within driving distance of me. A lot of them had ballpark numbers, so I knew what to expect. When I emailed Christine and asked, she narrowed the ballpark down a bit, but I didn't get Zeddie's actual price until she was 8 or 9 weeks old. At that point I had already paid about half anyways, and the price really didn't matter to me at that point either.