Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Savannah cat tongue...

Tigitodwitz

Savannah Super Cat
So has anyone else noticed that their savannah cats' tongue isn't as "scratchy" as regular domestic cats? I've tried searching online about this last year when I noticed it but couldn't find anything. I've been around cats continuously throughout my life and when I got my f2s I noticed this almost immediately lol. The first time they licked my finger I noticed how much smoother their tongues are than my other two cats. And ever since I've wondered about why that is and it just popped in my head. Any suggestions?

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
I haven't noticed that and I'm being groomed to death by Yuki frequently. Could it just be a special feature of your cat?

Tigitodwitz

Savannah Super Cat
That's what came to mind when I noticed it, so I went to see if her older sister Brooklyn also had a relatively smooth tongue, and she did! It sounds strange but both of their tongues are pretty smooth compared to my other 2 fluffy cats. It's kind of interesting. I wonder what a serval's tongue feels like haha

Harp

Savannah Super Cat
i noticed this too, prior to me owning my first cat (atlas) my roommate at the time had 2 cats, and would always complain that at 6am his biggest cat would lick his face until he got up to feed him. which sounds cute, but he said his tongue feels like sandpaper, so it felt like someone was rubbing sandpaper on his face.

Atlas has a very smooth tongue, and despite it being out all the time, it is very moist. i think it could have to do with moisture levels. my roommates cats eats dry only, could be why its so dry/rough feeling all the time.

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
Never thought about moisture levels as a factor. Yuki is eating wet food and nibbles dry food, and she produces prodigeous amounts of saliva, yet her tongue is like sandpaper.

Tigitodwitz

Savannah Super Cat
i noticed this too, prior to me owning my first cat (atlas) my roommate at the time had 2 cats, and would always complain that at 6am his biggest cat would lick his face until he got up to feed him. which sounds cute, but he said his tongue feels like sandpaper, so it felt like someone was rubbing sandpaper on his face.

Atlas has a very smooth tongue, and despite it being out all the time, it is very moist. i think it could have to do with moisture levels. my roommates cats eats dry only, could be why its so dry/rough feeling all the time.
Hmmm. Yeah I noticed they were moister too I forgot to add that. I don't think the dry food has to do with it though because all four of my cats eat wet and dry. It seems that the Savannah's have less papillae on their tongues for some reason, but you would think they'd have more... I don't know

Tigitodwitz

Savannah Super Cat

I love Atlas's tongue btw! I saw his pictures he is so cool!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
All 3 of my SVs have tongues that are noticeably rougher than any domestic cat I've had. It hurts when they lick me.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
This is getting interesting. Seems like there is some genetic diversification at play here. I could use my SV's to clean my outdoor grill if I could only get them to lick it.