Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Savannah F6 Biting/nibbling/chewing fabrics

Hi there,
My kitty is currently 1years and 7months old. He has this habit of chewing things like clothes, ropes, wool and anything soft that he can chew. He doesn’t actually play with it or swallow it. it’s as if he’s teething, however, I think he’s quite old to be teething and it seems like he’s trying to rub the fabric on all of his teeth. Is this a normal behaviour or should I be worried?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Have you discussed this with your vet to see if there's a physical reason for the behavior? If he's in good health and there isn't anything wrong with his teeth, it's a guessing came to determine the trigger for the behavior. He could be bored or lacking something in his diet. What do you feed him? If you feed a canned or kibble diet, try giving him a raw chicken leg, wing or thigh or a raw meaty bone. If the habit stems from boredom, try giving him more attention and playing with him at frequent intervals during the times you are home.

No have not gone to the vet yet. I feed him cooked chicken mostly and wet cat food. He doesn’t like dry food at all. At first we thought it was sign of affection because he would do it to our clothes when we cuddle him. But recently I saw him nibbling random fabrics that he can get his hands on. I did not know I could feed him raw chicken! He is quite picky with his food, I’ll give that a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
So he's actually chewing the fabrics and not suckling? Does he chew holes in the fabrics? It doesn't sound like Pica since he's not deliberately swallowing what he chews but there's always the danger he could get a blockage from accidental ingestion. Here's an article about suckling. Marilyn Krieger is quoted in it. She is a behaviorist to whom we often refer people when worrisome behaviors occur.
https://www.catster.com/cat-behavio...lf-blankets-or-other-objects-should-you-worry