Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Savannah kitten chewing on a nail.

Mae

Savannah Teenager
Our kitten who came home a few days ago found a nail (head, not point) on the bed frame, and seems to be obsessed with chewing on it. We offer toys and are blocking from it, but I'm curious why he would do that, and if there is another way to handle it.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I don't know, that's a new one to me! There's always something a kitten can find that we just didn't think of it seems... Year before last a litter of kittens here decided that licking the outlets was a good idea. I have NO idea what the attraction was, but after bitter spray didn't deter them, I went and got baby covers for the outlets in their room to keep them safe.

I think you are doing all you can do, block the access to that nail head...and hope he finds something else to occupy his attention...

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
If the nail head is sticking out use a Phillips' screwdriver & hammer just tap it to reset so it's flush or barely sunk in. Then cover the area so kitten can't get to it but distracting with a well placed toy or 2...should forget about it soon. Your kitten found an imperfection! Smart kitten.

Treywi

April
We catch Triton licking the legs of our end tables which are made of metal sometimes. Makes me think of a horse or cow licking the salt licks lol. We of course distract him and he forgets about it for days to weeks then all of a sudden does it again. Makes you wonder what is going on in their heads. :confused:

Mae

Savannah Teenager
Thanks everyone for the quick and thoughtful responses. It was pretty startling to see. I'm a bit of neurotic new kitty mama. I was so worried he might hurt himself.

Pam and Will

Savannah Super Cat
LOL! You're in good company... we just got our second a few days ago and as with our first are worried about everything! And yes Brigitte we have the baby safety covers on the sockets in his quarantine room cause he wanted to claw at them like a scratch... more so than the scratchers in the room! :confused:

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I am the queen of worrywarts when it comes to my cats, and especially the kittens. I have pillows, blankets and yoga mats under thick wool rugs placed under the cat trees, for cripes sake. When my kids were toddlers, I never was this careful....something they are quick to point out now that they are adults ;)

With such an active, intelligent, curious and yes, at times naughty breed of cat, I don't think you can ever be too careful or alert to possible hazards....

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
I'm still shopping- for toys, while waiting for Eddie to grow...any recommendations/warnings about toys?

Mae

Savannah Teenager
Tonight he is being strange. Running around like crazy, and trying to eat out of the litter box! O.O

Mae

Savannah Teenager
Ok, it was about 15 minutes of weird, and now back to his normal playful, then cuddly sleepy self.