Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

savannah kitten

K

KIM

My kitten that I got last week that is really shy and just starting to come around never says a peep. Ive heard him meow just here and there, very infrequently. Is that normal. He seems nervous but I have a feeling hes going to be mellow.

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
Relax Kim. If he is a little nervous, he will be quiet. and Maybe he is just a quiet little guy. My Regie seldom meows. As he gets more comfortable in his home, he may begin to talk more.

K

KIM

Thanks. I think that is what it is too. Hes is such a doll, and I love him so much. Just anxious to get him acclimated. Was your baby shy too?

Carykd7kau

No. Because I live close to my Breeder ( Patti ), I had him come to my house a few times with his mom kitty before he came home for good. He was homesick for his mama though. but once he met Kilifi, my first girl, he acclimated quickly. He is 7 months old now and NOT shy.
So there is hope Kim. ;)

K

KIM

I had a bengal but sadly we lost him to lymphoma about 5 weeks ago. He was my lovebug, and he meant the world to me. Stark means the world to me too, I want him to be happy and settle in. He is definitely shy. But he eats great, starting to play. Its been a week, and last week we couldnt even get close to him, now hes more comfy but not ready to leave the "safe room". Im not sure what Im supposed to see or know when its the right time so we dont set him back

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I had a bengal but sadly we lost him to lymphoma about 5 weeks ago. He was my lovebug, and he meant the world to me. Stark means the world to me too, I want him to be happy and settle in. He is definitely shy. But he eats great, starting to play. Its been a week, and last week we couldnt even get close to him, now hes more comfy but not ready to leave the "safe room". Im not sure what Im supposed to see or know when its the right time so we dont set him back
Condolences on the loss of your bengal. You'll know Stark is ready for more exploration when he is doing things such as actively playing with you, allowing you to touch him, eating from your hand. See the Demon Under the Bed/Acclimating article here for tips to help him become more confident http://www.savannahcatchat.com/thre...ed-acclimating-your-new-sv-to-your-home.1959/

Carykd7kau

Kim, I have a 4 yr old girl who was a rescue and when she came to me, she was totally untouchable. I could not even talk her out from under the bed to play. By the time she had lived here 6 months, she was open to playing, and now after almost a year, She is very social WITH ME. NOT my other 2 cats. She is quite reclusive and prefers to stay in her room. I try to put the kids in their room and let her out for an hour or so each day. She walks around but returnes to her SAFE room. She is happy and seems content to stay in her room.
She is my avatar... Azidi.
It took a lot of patience and love to win her over. It WAS and IS worth it. :)

Carykd7kau

OH... Duhhh. The whole purpose of that story was to say that I used the info in the link Witchy posted to win Azidi over.

K

KIM

I know its worth all the work. I want to make sure that we are doing everything to help him through this time where he acclimates. Hes a tough nut to break thats for sure, but he has come a long way since a week ago, so im hoping another week he will be even better.