Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Savannah Size tracking challenge...

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
I have been tracking Elsa's growth with weight and size since I have had her, and I tell you it can be a challenge.... Not impossible, but a challenge..

1st the scales... Getting a Savannah to stand still on a set of digital scales is easier than you may think... but then..

the 2nd part... Measurements... try to get them to stand still a long enough to get their height, length, ear height, and length of the tail with a Tape Measure...

Elsa kind of enjoys it, but I think she is missing the point :)

Try it and let us know how easy it is to accomplish ... It can be quite fun, and a definite challenge

admin

Paige
Staff member
I have been tracking Elsa's growth with weight and size since I have had her, and I tell you it can be a challenge.... Not impossible, but a challenge..

1st the scales... Getting a Savannah to stand still on a set of digital scales is easier than you may think... but then..

the 2nd part... Measurements... try to get them to stand still a long enough to get their height, length, ear height, and length of the tail with a Tape Measure...

Elsa kind of enjoys it, but I think she is missing the point :)

Try it and let us know how easy it is to accomplish ... It can be quite fun, and a definite challenge

John, I did this with my first first SV boy, Taj and gave up...he is an F6 and was 12 pounds at 6 months...now he is 4 years old and about 16 pounds...that is as far as I got ;)

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Two of mine have to be sedated when they go to the vet so I had her measure them while they were in the twilight zone.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Easier to weigh a cat when you are holding them, and then subtract your weight. Of course, that means you have to then look to see what your weight is which is not pleasant for some of us ;-)

Measuring their height is so hard and it really is the better measure of how "big" they are as a Savannah as we want them to be tall not just chubby! But they do see a measuring tape as a toy, so it is a challenge!

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Easier to weigh a cat when you are holding them, and then subtract your weight. Of course, that means you have to then look to see what your weight is which is not pleasant for some of us ;-)

Measuring their height is so hard and it really is the better measure of how "big" they are as a Savannah as we want them to be tall not just chubby! But they do see a measuring tape as a toy, so it is a challenge!

Weighing them while holding them is way to easy and is the easy way out and also it is not as accurate... I have a digital scale that does lbs and ounces, so you can see a trend a lot easier. Watching the ounces you can see a better trend for growth and general health.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think accuracy is debatable, if the cat won't stay still on the scales you will not get an accurate weight. While if you are holding them you are more likely to get the kind of stability that gives you a good weight, and if you weigh yourself each time to subtract it will be potentially as accurate as if you could get them to step on the scales themselves.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
I think accuracy is debatable, if the cat won't stay still on the scales you will not get an accurate weight. While if you are holding them you are more likely to get the kind of stability that gives you a good weight, and if you weigh yourself each time to subtract it will be potentially as accurate as if you could get them to step on the scales themselves.

Knock on wood with Elsa... But she has been good about the weight.. But she is making up for it on the measurements...

wfraser1955

Savannah Super Cat
Weighing is the easy part, he'll walk right on to the scale for a cat treat. Measuring is another story all together, I've virtually given up. The space between the countertop and the top cupboards is exactly 17". If he reaches that height I'll let you know. Other than that I just guess. haha

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Get a box to put on the scale and zero it with the box on it, then put Elsa in and you should get an accurate weight.

I have no helpful tips for measuring height, but it should be measured from the shoulder to the toe, which is probably easiest to measure with her sleeping - just start at the shoulder and run the tape measure down to the toe as you stretch out her leg. Obviously it would be easier if you had a third hand to help!