Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Savannah Vacation Travel - Opinion's Please

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
I am considering travel back home to visit my Mom for Easter. I do not want to board Elsa... Jake always travels with me and does great, but this will be Elsa's first. So far on short trips in the car she does well, when she arrived by plane, she seemed to have actually enjoyed it. At the vet, even for a scheduled visit she likes the people who work there, and even let them hold her without fussing.

My question is, for an 11 hour drive, how well do Savannah's normally travel?

I do have the calming spray that I used with Sylvester and that worked out great, not sure if I want to, need to use it here for such a journey.

I could board her, but my mom also wants to see her.. Says she feels like she already knows her from her Website.

She'll be fine. the exhibitors on this board drive all over for shows. I'd give her a big enough crate to include a small litter box though with that long of a drive.

Sent from my so called smartphone so all typos and bad advice can be blamed on said "smart" phone ;)

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
She'll be fine. the exhibitors on this board drive all over for shows. I'd give her a big enough crate to include a small litter box though with that long of a drive.

Sent from my so called smartphone so all typos and bad advice can be blamed on said "smart" phone ;)
I am not sure how the litter box issue will work... She is now toilet trained? She has not used a litter box in 6 weeks... Wonder if that will have an effect... I have a much larger carrier for her however...

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I am not sure how the litter box issue will work... She is now toilet trained? She has not used a litter box in 6 weeks... Wonder if that will have an effect... I have a much larger carrier for her however...
You have to give her an option in the event that she has to pee or poop during those 11 hours. If you don't want to use a litter box with litter, you can try a pee pad in a small litter box or put the litter quitter in a shallow pan to keep it from sliding around. If you don't want to put litter in the litter quitter, you can put a pee pad under it.

What you want to avoid is a bladder infection or constipation because she feels it necessary to hold her pee/poop until she sees a toilet.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Every cat is different when it comes to traveling, but it sounds like Elsa has already proven to be a fairly good traveler. I agree that she needs a crate large enough for food, water, and litterbox.

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
You have to give her an option in the event that she has to pee or poop during those 11 hours. If you don't want to use a litter box with litter, you can try a pee pad in a small litter box or put the litter quitter in a shallow pan to keep it from sliding around. If you don't want to put litter in the litter quitter, you can put a pee pad under it.

What you want to avoid is a bladder infection or constipation because she feels it necessary to hold her pee/poop until she sees a toilet.
Great idea...

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Every cat is different when it comes to traveling, but it sounds like Elsa has already proven to be a fairly good traveler. I agree that she needs a crate large enough for food, water, and litterbox.
I have a much larger crate that I am planning to use.... There is room for a (SMALL) Litter Box, and her bed and still have room to move around... It is a big enough for Jake if needed, but he has never been in a crate.

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Take her to a gas station en route :roflmao:

I think Elsa will be a great traveller. Zeddie and I are going on vacation in a month...she has gone 7 hours in the car with me (we got lost on our way to Ottawa) poor girl doesn't like pottying in the car though :confused:

Patti

Admin
Staff member
That's actually not a bad suggestion to stop at the gas station, but if Elsa is like most other cats I know she won't go when the opportunity presents itself but only when she is good and ready, so you might be waiting around for some time for her to relieve herself if she's not ready... :rolleyes:

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
Take her to a gas station en route :roflmao:

I think Elsa will be a great traveller. Zeddie and I are going on vacation in a month...she has gone 7 hours in the car with me (we got lost on our way to Ottawa) poor girl doesn't like pottying in the car though :confused:
This trip will be 11 hours... Will have plenty of rest stops... Plan to let her walk around.. She likes going outside... LOL, maybe she can use a rest stop bathroom, but I will ahve to wash her paws;