Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Savannah's & Maine Coon's together?

Diane & Zeus

Savannah Adult
Hey
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Maine Coon's and if you have ever had one with a Savannah. I've only had my 4.5 year old Savannah since June and I think I lucked out as he is a sweetheart that really doesn't get into much trouble. I hear many are like forever 2 year olds and get into everything when bored. Now that he is comfortable here and with my 15 year old female cat I have stumbled upon a stray Maine Coon. He has been around all summer and at first we assumed he had a home and only wondered why anyone would have a maine coon this beautiful and let him outside. He never let anyone pet him but he hung around only middle of the night and was playful. in playing I discovered that he is de-clawed. I gave him food and he chowed down. Signs were pointing to stray and I had to bring him in before the cold winter hit.

he has lived in the entrance and storage rooms for about a week now, he quickly made himself at home and loves attention. Reading up on maine coons their personality traits sound very much like Savannah's. gentle giants, loyal, dog like, forever two year olds, lol. I don't know if I will keep him, it will depend on how he gets along with my fur kids. With similar to Savannah traits he might end up being a good playmate for Zeus as my 15 year old girl doesn't want to play with him.

I can tell already though that this maine coon lives up to the trouble maker reputation that Zeus doesn't. He will probably get into everything and not be as cool about not eating the others food. I'll take him to the vet to make sure healthy before introducing to my cats.

any experience, tips, etc would be great. either way I'm sure I won't have trouble finding a good home for this stunning maine coon but curious if it is known that they get along with Savannah's because of their similar traits.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Maine Coons can do great with Savannahs, one of the kittens from my very first Savannah litter went to live with a Maine Coon and it seemed to work perfectly. The Maine Coon was ever so patient with the crazy Savannah kitten crawling all over him and pestering him continually...they tend to have a patient personality and that can be key with dealing with Savannah exuberance.

As with all adult cats though, just make sure your introductions are gradual. Slow things down if it seems the cats are not dealing well and be prepared to take a step back in the process and try again if needed...and then I am sure all will be well :)

jungle boy

Savannah Super Cat
I have a very big F2 22 lb. boy and two 6 month old Maine Coon kittens and they get along splendidly! They are the best of friends and they TRULY like each other and play together EVERY day! It is really working great for our babies! You may have an adjustment period but within a few weeks or so I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how well they can get along! They are a ton of fun!
:) By the way, he is GORGEOUS!

Diane & Zeus

Savannah Adult
I took the cover off of the full length window door separating them and oddly it is the maine coon that is acting pissed off and territorial. It may take a while to get the "stray" out of him but I can tell he is not really a fighter, I think he had to make up for being de-clawed with attitude

jungle boy

Savannah Super Cat
It could take 3 or 4 weeks but you will be fine! Those Maine Coons can be such pranksters and the Savannahs well fuggetaboutit! You're in store for some serious cat shenanigans in a month or so...
:p

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I took the cover off of the full length window door separating them and oddly it is the maine coon that is acting pissed off and territorial. It may take a while to get the "stray" out of him but I can tell he is not really a fighter, I think he had to make up for being de-clawed with attitude
Working in Rescue, we often find that those cats that had to survive outside for some time do become quite cat-aggressive. It makes sense, they've had to be competitive to survive!

So I would be patient with your stray boy, give him time to adjust and take things slowly... try the good association things like always feeding when in sight of the other cats (through that window door) and try to move the dishes closer to that window door over time. Do the scent exchanges (pet beds or towels) so that he can smell the other cats without the added stress of their presence...

Diane & Zeus

Savannah Adult
Hi, thanks for the tips. I'm using feliway comfort zone too which was a big help with Zeus. stay cat is sleeping on one of his beds and has some of his toys. I will take it slow. I probably won't let him into the main apartment with the other cats until he stops hissing and growling through the window at them. I'll also take him to the vet before introductions too to make sure he is healthy. He is such a beautiful cat, I can't imagine how he ended up on the street de-clawed. and it didn't take much to win him over to pet him and get him inside.

I got Zeus from Savannah Cat Rescue! He rocks! I can't imagine why anyone would give him up either. Such a sweetheart.