Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

sbt kitten versus the average cat

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
What makes an sbt kitten stand out against the average house cat. Bengals have their markings. But what has drawn me to Savannah's isn't necessarily their fur (althought it is quite gorgeous) its the personality! but you hear so many unique things about lower generation cats. how loyal as devoted they are, the excitement when you get home from work, and the hours upon incessant hours of horsing around. But is this still found in the higher generations? New York State is a party pooper and I cannot have anything less than an f5. Although I've only dreamt of an f3 savannah. But the sbt are small and fragile and they seem as if they will act like the average cat. I don't want a cat that just looks at me in disgust when I walk in the door. I want to feel welcomed. I want a lifelong companion. why spend the money for just a wild looking cat? could someone please sell me on an sbt kitten. I fear I may need to move out of state to make my dreams come true. what makes an sbt kitten special to you? Tell me your stories! And have you ever seen an f5 larger than a regular house cat? I'm curious =]

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I have a F2B (34% serval), a F2A (poppa is an Egyptian Mau), and an F6C. My two F2s together don't have near the personality (by that I mean capacity for getting into trouble) that my F6 does. The F6, Taji, is more energetic than the F2s; he's smarter than they are; he engages in long conversations with people. He is not fragile, at 10 lbs -- he is the dominant cat in the house and can beat the stuffins out of both F2s who are 16 & 22 lbs respectively.

I've seen pictures of F5s, 6s & 7s that are larger than my F6. As far as the bond between you and the cat, you'll have to carefully choose a breeder and then trust that breeder to choose a kitten that exhibits the traits you desire. Keep in mind that personalities change as the cat matures. Cuddly can become standoffish and vice versa regardless of breed.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I have two bunnies a Flemmish giant and lop. I completely agree with you on being deceiving both were extremely skittish at first one warmed up to me the other uses me for food then runs away. silus my Flemmy grew closer then I bonded him to breña the lop and now he's stand off Ish. She turned him against me! I am very surprised the f6 was so hyper in comparison I guess it just goes to show each cat has its own extremely different personality. I want to be able to take my cat on walks with me.. If fate will have it that I luck out with a cat that likes to walk and hike. I love to camp and be outdoors and I hope that my future lovebug would want to join me. by far which one or your cats is most attached? And can they really open doors?

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Ah!! A Flemish and a Lop?!!? My Lop passed away almost 2 years ago, and my dream bunny is a Flemish. My lop was absolutely amazing.

I have an F4 SBT and she is a little girl (about 10 lbs) but she is NOT fragile! She isn't extremely high energy, and doesn't care to savandalize too much. She waits for me at the door when I leave, she travels with me, she sleeps against my legs, she gives me kisses, she follows me around, she watches TV with me when no one else will. She walks on a leash (not well, but she can still do it) and she comes to pet stores with me.

As Deborah said, find a breeder you trust and you can work to find the purrfect kitty for you. I wanted an F3 when I found Savannahs, but I fell completely in love with Zeddie as soon as I saw her picture. I know with Zeddie that she does specific things with me because I love doing it. You can't count on your cat camping with you, but as a kitten you can expose it to different situations and gauge if it will be okay going camping.

Some Savannahs definitely open doors, especially the lever ones. Zeddie can only open cupboard doors, and any bin that holds any food, ever. She can be pretty determined.

Don't disregard the SBTs because of their size, or because their markings aren't quite as prominent at the EGs. They have tons of personality, and are fantastic companions.

admin

Paige
Staff member
What makes an sbt kitten stand out against the average house cat. Bengals have their markings. But what has drawn me to Savannah's isn't necessarily their fur (althought it is quite gorgeous) its the personality! but you hear so many unique things about lower generation cats. how loyal as devoted they are, the excitement when you get home from work, and the hours upon incessant hours of horsing around. But is this still found in the higher generations? New York State is a party pooper and I cannot have anything less than an f5. Although I've only dreamt of an f3 savannah. But the sbt are small and fragile and they seem as if they will act like the average cat. I don't want a cat that just looks at me in disgust when I walk in the door. I want to feel welcomed. I want a lifelong companion. why spend the money for just a wild looking cat? could someone please sell me on an sbt kitten. I fear I may need to move out of state to make my dreams come true. what makes an sbt kitten special to you? Tell me your stories! And have you ever seen an f5 larger than a regular house cat? I'm curious =]

Wow, Bekki...not sure where you get the idea that sbt's are small and fragile and act like an average cat...uh..I breed F5 SBT's in Nj and they are FAR from being average cats...they are savannahs after all...follow me all over the place, into everything, hang from lampshades, walk on harness and leash, scale the sisal posts in the house at record speed, run on cast wheels, have awesome personalities, health and look like savannah cats and act like savannah cats...I'm not going to try and sell them to you...the sell themselves :)

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
View attachment 11445 View attachment 11447 thanks! I don't see too much on sbt cats when you look up Savannah's it's always the f1-f4 you see and not much else. so it was a little discouraging. But I love hearing that. I was always a dog person growing up because the cats that I've met we're I guess "catty " was the best term. Then I met a savannah cat at a family members house in pa. And fell in love. the first cat that made me want to get a cat in the worst way. from what you guys are describing it sounds like the sbts may even be the better generations. At least for keeping myself busy and having plenty to keep up with. I want a high energy high maintained kitty. I'll tire em out =]. I'm not looking for a fashion statement Im looking for a best friend. And Kristen I'm so sorry to hear that my condolences. I completely agree its all up to personality and If I went to a breeder out of state I would want them to get to know me well enough to help male the right decision. Or personally I would prefer to meet the kitten in person even if I had to make a special trip. It would all be worth it in the end. I know I can't predict it's up to fate to match me up. And my Flemmy is a lazy boy he's not very big. The chinchilla genes took over. I think if I get a kitten they will hopefully be ok with each other or else I will have to do play shifts again like before I had both bunnies fixed., that was a rough 6 months but you'll do anything for those ya love

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I want a high energy high maintained kitty. I'll tire em out =].
LOL! Well when you've had your SV for a couple months, be sure to let us know how well you've tired it out. It's really difficult to describe what we mean by "high energy." You've got to experience it to believe it.

admin

Paige
Staff member
View attachment 11445 View attachment 11447 thanks! I don't see too much on sbt cats when you look up Savannah's it's always the f1-f4 you see and not much else. so it was a little discouraging. But I love hearing that. I was always a dog person growing up because the cats that I've met we're I guess "catty " was the best term. Then I met a savannah cat at a family members house in pa. And fell in love. the first cat that made me want to get a cat in the worst way. from what you guys are describing it sounds like the sbts may even be the better generations. At least for keeping myself busy and having plenty to keep up with. I want a high energy high maintained kitty. I'll tire em out =]. I'm not looking for a fashion statement Im looking for a best friend. And Kristen I'm so sorry to hear that my condolences. I completely agree its all up to personality and If I went to a breeder out of state I would want them to get to know me well enough to help male the right decision. Or personally I would prefer to meet the kitten in person even if I had to make a special trip. It would all be worth it in the end. I know I can't predict it's up to fate to match me up. And my Flemmy is a lazy boy he's not very big. The chinchilla genes took over. I think if I get a kitten they will hopefully be ok with each other or else I will have to do play shifts again like before I had both bunnies fixed., that was a rough 6 months but you'll do anything for those ya love

You need to look at cattery pages (we have a small breeder directory) as well as pics we have here...there are tons of SBT pics on this forum...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
An SBT is "small and fragile"? In whose world?
The F5 SBT male I have sprawled on the desk in front of me making it very difficult to type as he is purring and headbutting my hands...he's almost 18lbs of kitty at 2 years of age. And not a chubby 18lbs, he's simply a good-sized cat. Nothing fragile about him.

Honestly, as our breed has developed, there is less and less difference between F3 and F5s imho... a good program can produce F5s that look very similar and mostly my F5 kittens have been mistaken by others as either earlier generation or from some sort of high percentage program. I am sure there are still later generation kittens that are not too exciting, you simply need to be selective when looking for that later generation kitten. Is is much harder to produce a typey F5 than it is an F1, LOL!

NikkiA

Site Supporter
I have an F5 boy, an F4 boy, and an F3 boy. Our F5 boy is melanistic.
He is about 15 pounds at 2 1/2 years. I'm 5'2, when he stands on the ground and puts his paws up, they come up to my hips. He is not small or fragile.
He climbs EVERYWHERE, he loves to get on top of our 9' cabinets. He easily jumps on my 6'4 husband's shoulders from the ground. He balances on top of open doors. He opens cabinets (all three of our boys do), he opens kitchen drawers (all 3 boys do), and he can open closed but unlatched doors (all three of our boys can). They got into the old fridge so regularly, we bought a new one.
He is lying next to me right now. He sleeps next to me, or on top of me, almost every night.
He walks on his leash and harness, and he is a therapy pet.
He is smarter (but less cuddly) than our F4 boy. He is more energetic (but less determined) than our F3 boy.
Every night when we get home, we are met at the door by the kitty brigade.