Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

SBT vs higher f generation

NikkiA

Site Supporter
I am not a breeder, just a pet owner, so I can't say exactly why a cat is priced where it is- its breeder can give you the best answer.
I don't know of anyone here is making a fortune selling SV kittens, so I would bet that if a kitten has a high sticker price, there is a reason for it. It could be do to the cat's bloodlines. It could be due to the costs to bring the kitten into the world and raise the kitten. It could be because the market will support the breeder's pricing. I really can't say. I would ask the breeder.

Here is what I do know as someone who has purchased SVs.
A kitten that more closely resembles the breed standard is going to be more expensive, whether it is F1 or SBT. If a kitten closely resembles the breed standard, and is SBT, it is more desirable to other breeders for their breeding programs, and it is possible that more potential pet owners may be attracted to the appeal of the exotic packaging on the SBT kitty. The higher demand, the higher the price.
We looked at one SBT kitten that was $6k, and to our untrained eyes, looked like an F3. He was sold before we could buy him. I don't know where he went, but I would not be surprised if he was sold to another breeder.

Enigmatic.eyez

Savannah Super Cat
I am not a breeder, just a pet owner, so I can't say exactly why a cat is priced where it is- its breeder can give you the best answer.
I don't know of anyone here is making a fortune selling SV kittens, so I would bet that if a kitten has a high sticker price, there is a reason for it. It could be do to the cat's bloodlines. It could be due to the costs to bring the kitten into the world and raise the kitten. It could be because the market will support the breeder's pricing. I really can't say. I would ask the breeder.

Here is what I do know as someone who has purchased SVs.
A kitten that more closely resembles the breed standard is going to be more expensive, whether it is F1 or SBT. If a kitten closely resembles the breed standard, and is SBT, it is more desirable to other breeders for their breeding programs, and it is possible that more potential pet owners may be attracted to the appeal of the exotic packaging on the SBT kitty. The higher demand, the higher the price.
We looked at one SBT kitten that was $6k, and to our untrained eyes, looked like an F3. He was sold before we could buy him. I don't know where he went, but I would not be surprised if he was sold to another breeder.
Can u msg me? :)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I've noticed some of the sbts of a lower generation can be priced just as high as a high f3( for example) can someone explain this to me?
There's two sayings that can apply to pricing:
"A fool and his money are easily parted"
"You get what you pay for"

So really, it could mean the SBT is of such great quality it deserves an f3 price, or it could mean that the breeder understands marketing and that people assume a large pricetag means higher quality.

SV Dad

Site Supporter
Enigma, Bridgette said it well. You get what you pay for. Early generations (called foundation stock) generally are higher priced due to difficulty in producing, supply vs demand, and tendency to have a more exotic look.
At the SBT level, there tends to be a much greater supply. But quality, as in meeting the breed standard, can play a major role in pricing.
You are doing the right thing by asking questions and getting to know about the breed. You are way ahead of me(and many others!), in terms of pre purchase planning and pricing. I got into it backwards, cat first, knowledge second.
But don't fret, it turned out very well for me. The biggest surprise for me was the personality. What's really neat, the personality tends to be huge not matter what generation.
I don't know what your goal is, but keep asking questions. The questions may help define your desire.
A lot of folks on this forum have multiple cats of multiple generations. That tells you the folks like what they have and want more.