Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Scabs?

vickielynn87

Savannah Super Cat
Hi everyone! We are 2 weeks from bringing our Callie home. A few weeks ago, the breeder noticed that Callie had some tiny scabs on her head and that mama cat wouldn't stop licking her. She took her to the vet and the vet didn't know what they were. They ran some labs and nothing showed up, negative for ringworm. The vet gave her a topical cream, Quadritop (treats fungal, bacterial, and allergies) and the scabs went away. Now I am told that the scabs are back, she said there were no wounds beforehand. Here's a pic, she wasn't really cooperating. She's the only one out of her litter mates to have this
problem. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Did he vet check skin scrapings? It could be as simple as another kitten chewing on her head. It could also be eosinophilic granulomatosis. If it persists, I would probably want the vet to see her again, and consider a biopsy.

vickielynn87

Savannah Super Cat
Patti, yes I believe the vet took skin cultures first. Breeder said she would ask for blood work tomorrow at the vet.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
It may seem extreme but a biopsy may be the next move. If it is from an allergy it may be hard to pinpoint the exact allergen. I wonder if there is a vet dermatologist near the breeder...

admin

Paige
Staff member
it could be miliary dermatitis, which my Zuri had as a kitten - perhaps the kitten is sensitive tot he saliva on mom's tongue...that is why when a topical cream is applied, it goes away...a steroid shot may take care of it for good...and then perhaps a dietary supplement such as WATE by Kitty Bloom, which contains fatty acids may help.

vickielynn87

Savannah Super Cat
Update from the breeder:

Okay so back from the vet. There are 2 vets at the practice and I saw a different one from last time. She suggested like the comment from SCC that she may be sensitive to Layla. Layla may be overgrooming causing crusty granuloma to form. We are going to continue the ointment and separate Layla from the kittens. Next Wed we go back for vaccinations. If it hasn't gotten better then we will do a biopsy. The ointment has steroids in it. She wasn't too concerned because it was only on her head and not itchy. So good news.