Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Uti’s

Dmj73

Savannah Teenager
Hi I have a Savannah Bengal mix male and a Savannah Female. Both have had Uti’s in the last couple months. Hers has cleared up his on the other hand has not. Just in the last week he’s been to ER. I have been told he has crystals and they want me to put him on Science Diet SO. What do you think? Do you recommend anything else.? They currently eat Acana Meadowlands. Thanks.

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
Are they Struvite or Oxylate crystals?

Definitely get him off the dry completely and only give raw or canned food with extra water mixed in. And get a water fountain to encourage drinking.

Dmj73

Savannah Teenager
Are they Struvite or Oxylate crystals?

Definitely get him off the dry completely and only give raw or canned food with extra water mixed in. And get a water fountain to encourage drinking.
Well they didn’t say what kind of crystals. I did have the ER vet tell me it is possibly Sterile cystitis. He is a very picky eater. I do mix water with his dry food. I was also gonna go get some high protein wet food for him to try. I actually have two water fountains and he loves that. He’s the only one out of the 4 I have who is very picky. The other 3 get wet food and dry food. 2 of which like raw. I’m hoping I can find a wet food he will really like.

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
There’s a canned brand called Pure Vita that my crew really, really likes. The formulas are pretty clean, and I know a few folks who have had success feeding it to kitties with urinary crystals. It’s US-made by a solid company (KLN), and only sold at local, independent retailers. Worth the work to find it!

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
Well they didn’t say what kind of crystals. I did have the ER vet tell me it is possibly Sterile cystitis. He is a very picky eater. I do mix water with his dry food. I was also gonna go get some high protein wet food for him to try. I actually have two water fountains and he loves that. He’s the only one out of the 4 I have who is very picky. The other 3 get wet food and dry food. 2 of which like raw. I’m hoping I can find a wet food he will really like.
You can’t treat it or make diet adjustments until you know what kind of crystals he has (or if he actually has crystals). One type is from high pH and one is from low pH. So opposite spectrums. Either way the carbs in dry food aren’t good for any urinary issues, so just adding water doesn’t solve that. So hopefully you can find a wet food he likes. Any canned food is better for this issue than any dry food. You can give DMannose regardless to help with bladder inflammation.

Dmj73

Savannah Teenager
My vet is supposed to call tomorrow with results. Once I get them I will message back on here to get help with the kind of food is best. Really don’t want to use the SO.

Dmj73

Savannah Teenager
Ok just heard back from vet. He has no infection but does have evidence of Struvite crystals. She wants me to put him in the prescription SO diet to break them up. ph level was high. Suggestions