Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

scratching post dilemma

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
one size doesn't fit all. At least not what I would presume. I'm nesting here guys. hence all the random particular questions. I wanna make my home ready as ever. Sooo looking at scratching posts. there are so many sizes. I'm not ready to buy a big piece of furniture especially since I don't know just how big he will get. So I want to go with a lower cost option preferably 50$ or less so I don't feel guilty replacing in a few months. for a standard vertical scratcher just how tall should I go. he's a big boy at 4 months. I'm not sure he will like a horizontal scratcher especially with hardwood floors it will slide. how big are yours and how long is your baby? kinda give me a reference point?

"Those who wander aren't always lost"

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
The most popular one here is 28" tall and wrapped in sisal. Cats who like vertical scratchers usually prefer when they can stretch to almost full height to scratch. If you buy commercial scratchers, you could always attach little rubber feet to them to keep them from sliding on the floor.

They're easy to make. You can find videos on youtube.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I would imagine stretching is key if I were a cat I would want that. 28 in that sounds phenomenal now I just have to find one that tall lol. And I never thought about rubber feet. hmm ya got me thinking

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Well to start with, scratching posts are not synonymous with cat furniture. If you already have vertical space in your home (e.g., shelves, tall pieces of furniture, etc.) you don't necessarily need to invest in additional cat furniture. If you don't, you might consider looking for a 6 or 7 foot cat tree - most of these have scratchers built into them... but none will be <$50

As for scratching posts, if he is a big boy and you want a vertical, rather than horizontal scratcher then you're going to have to go tall. I would say no less than 36" because he will most likely want to stretch out as he scratches. Alternatively, you can purchase a couple of small scratchers for $10-15 and see if he prefers one over the other.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Oh, Bekki, I almost forgot. I saw a youtube video where a woman wrapped her dining room table leg in sisal and it worked great. If you already have something in your house that you could wrap, it might be worth a try.

Mountaincattrees has great scratching posts but they're a bit spendy.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Wrapping a table leg? That's genius! I have a bunch of old furniture in my basement I may be able to find something. Or shoot I could possibly make my own I have a drill and saw of my own. Dad taught me right lol.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
In preference I wish I could take him with me to the store and let him pick one out but I wouldn't want him to go through that extra stress too soon. Nor would I want him to have to wait and possibly get the idea that my bed or area rug makes a good scratching post either.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Bekki, even if your kitty is not large, these guys hit like a Mac truck so make sure it is sturdy! Mine is less than 11 lbs but when she hits the scratch posts at a gallop, look out! As it turns out, she prefers the cheap cardboard doublewide horizontal scratchpads from Trader Joe's to actually scratch at.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
There are corner scratching posts for doorways and furniture too, those are always an option. Be sure to invest in a bit of catnip to rub into the scratching post so that he will more readily choose it over the furniture (although some kittens are not as susceptible to catnip as adult cats are).

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I have tons of shelves (some need to be cleaned off in the kitty proofing process. All of the shelves are anchored with 30lb rated anchors so that could work I was referring to the play areas that are covered with fabric that double as a scratch post. wow 36in that's tall! but I don't think I could necessarily go too big. Now that I think about it my cousin used to have twine wrapped around the basement support pole just on the bottom as a kid I never thought about it.. The cats would hang out down there and they didn't have any obvious scratch post. That must have been it!